Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

All Balls Swingarm Kit - hindsight reflection

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by mattb, Jul 15, 2010.

1. I got a swingarm kit from these guys http://www.allballsracing.com/ $180 posted. The same set of parts from Yamaha are $400.

I did the job yesterday and was surprised at how easy it was. The kit came with the needle bearings, teflon coated bearings (washers) to replace the thrust needle bearings, and the big bush. Unfortunately, I found the kit useless beyond the needle bearings and rubbers (for which, presumably, I could have paid much less). There's two reasons: The swingarm would not fit in place with the teflon bearings, and it had nothing in there when I removed it, so I didn't use them. And the bush, which presumably made for the majority of the cost, had more play in it than the stock bush which was already in there. Given that I was trying to eliminate the freeplay for a RWC where the inspector had failed me on the freeplay, this was a real issue.

So, if you're in my situation as in doing this job for the first time, it might be worth dismantling the swingarm first and seeing what needs replacing, and saving yourself the cost of a kit.

A concern of mine is the fact it was spitting - lightly raining - on me and the bike when I fitted the swingarm parts (I was outside in the weather). I had to do this because the RWC was due that afternoon, but should I dismantle the thing and make certain it's dry and then regrease it? There could not have been much water that got it, but I don't want to create a future rust nightmare....

Matt