Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aligning Headlights

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Scarfo88, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Hello all,

I'm looking to install a HID kit into my bike this weekend, and was wanting some tips on how to align the beam so that im not blinding other road users. I have heard that the beam is meant to dip 1% of the distance from the object.

So if i was to put the bike 3meters from my garage it should be hitting 3cm below the level of the headlight.

Is this correct? are there other methods?

2. Waiting back on someone to answer this, was playing with my headlight tonight because I was sick of it only lighting the ground 7 meters in front of me.

Im reasonably sure it is I think its level with the height of the light on the bike -25mm @ 10 meters. Could be VERY wrong on this ;P
  3. turn it off and drive by the light of your wheels :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I tend to do it while riding (well stopped on the side of the road). Just ride it, adjust, retest.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I was just looking into how to do this myself and saw a "how-to" on a Yamaha Motorcycle forum relating to v-stars. They said at 10 feet, the 'hot spot' of the high beam should have dropped two inches. Also that using a lightweight white cloth over the headlight can help define the spot.

Maybe do an initial adjustment in the garage, then head out on the road to fine tune?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. My Volusia forum ha this instruction on it:

Headlight Adjustment
    Getting a correctly aimed headlight is straightforward. You need to make a couple of measurements and then aim the light at a flat wall, as follows:

1. With the bike on its wheels and you astride, have a helper measure the distance from the floor to the center of the headlight lens.
    2. Pick a flat wall where you can locate the bike on level ground so the headlight is 17 feet from the wall. Place a horizontal mark on the wall two (2) inches lower than the height of the center of the headlight.
    3. The headlight beam (on low beam) should be relatively flat on the top, and may rise rather sharply at the right edge. Adjust the headlight vertically so that the flat top of the beam is just up to that line (marked two inches down at 17 feet).
    4. Horizontal adjustment should center the beam ahead of the line of the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks for the posts Takamii and AussieRobin ! ... (After converting to metric :p ) I'll give it a try and report back .... (y)
  8. As others have stated I just ride around on flat roads and adjust so low beam shows up a reasonable distance ahead on the road and high beam focuses onto the road before its strength dissipates.Not fun riding around at The Island in the dark shooting possums out of trees,once was enough for me.
  9. cheers for the info fellas
  10. for all those interested I've decided to retrofit a projector when I install the hid kit for a better beam and to avoid annoying on comming traffic and the fuzz
  11. Always interested in the quest for better light :D

More details on your 'retrofitted reflector' ?
  12. Thanks for the info mate. (y) I'm going to grab a set of 5000K HIDs and a second hand lens for my bike and have a play ... see what I can come up with. \\:D/ This will be over the next month or so due to lack of funds atm.... :|