Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ALDI Torque Wrench & Trickle Charger

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by lui, Oct 10, 2011.

1. They wouldn't the best quality, but certainly better than none. Coming up this Saturday (15/Oct), $25 each.

Torque Wrench

No specs listed, looks like a 1/2" drive (typical range 20 - 200Nm). Comes with 17/19/21mm sockets and an extension bar. But not 1/2" to 3/8" adapter (would have been more useful).

Trickle Charger

Suitable for 6V or 12V car or motorcycle batteries.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cheers for the heads up. Might grab a torque wrench to help get me into the general vicinity of tension since I have nfi how tight (or should I say loose) I am doing up bolts.
  3. Aldi stuff is usually pretty good despite how cheap it is, I think I'll definitely get the torque wrench.
  4. I had my eye on these too. Cheap torque wrenches are for occasional use though, they will go out of spec quickly with heavy use. Should be fine for the home mechanic.
  5. have been advised different types of chargers suitable for different battery types, eg the 'sealed' would have a trickle and the old 'acid' type where they are 'fillable' use a different type of charger, anyone can comment on this ?

6. I have used a normal charger (not trickle) on both types of batteries without issues. In saying that though, they weren't brand new batteries, old ones that have been revived for miscellaneous use. I have charged 2 batteries from dead (one car, one bike...car non-sealed, bike sealed) and they still run today.

In regards to torque wrenches...they might be ideal for home use, but I wouldn't trust it. I bought one from Total Tools for $100 and I still think it might be out...not sure how to get it calibrated though :?.
  7. you could've gotten a kincrome one from bunnings for less
  8. TRickle chargers should be fine for all battery types. Its the high current chargers that you need to worry about as the charge voltage is different for sealed v wet cell batteries. The charge voltage for a trickle charger is a lot lower than a bulk charger.
  9. I have the 1/2" Kinchrome from Bunnings, $80. They also have the 3/8" at similar price, I may get that later to cover the lower torque specs.

Kinchrome comes with a calibration certification, not to say it's very accurate but at less should be in the ball park for home mechanics.The ADLI one probably comes with a similar certificate.

The thing with torque wrench is that do not use it to undo any bolts, only use it for tightening. The direction switch is for tightening reverse threads.
  10. I can't remember the exact price I paid for mine, might have been a little cheaper, but I do remember it being cheaper than the Kinchrome ones from Bunnings. Bought it 4 years ago so not sure what the prices are now.

The current new charger allows me to select charging rate (2A,4A,6A etc) and has all these fancy automated stuff. The old one which I use to revive the batteries, charges at a rate of 6A no matter what...which I guess is lower than the average alternator charge rate...but I could be wrong.

Either way, if you charge using a bulk charger and your battery is frothing, you know you've cooked it and could explode.
  11. Assuming they have sufficient accuracy in the first place is a big assumption. They may be no better than an educated guess.
  12. take it to a calibration unit and if it's out then demand your money back
    if it has a certificate then it should be accurate
  13. It is easy enough to check the calibration if you're concerned.
  14. I'd note that the 20Nm minimum setting is a bit high for things like spark plugs and similar. It'd be fine for things like wheel bolts.
  15. yup. keep adding weights to the bar until it cracks. measure distance from axis and multiply. don't forget to multiply by 9.81 for gravity
  16. I'm curious about the 4 charging modes as it says trickle is one.
    so 3 other modes are possibly for higher rate of charge.
    I might pick up a couple of these for me and my brother.
  17. A four stage charger usually goes:
    1) Pre-charge (13.8v current limited)
    2) Bulk charge (high current 13.8v)
    3) Absorption (higher voltage 14.4v)
    4) Maintenance (aka trickle, 13.8v)

Some of them have an equalise stage too (over 15v current limited) but you can't equalise sealed batteries as they gas like mad and overpressure.
  18. i found this ... http://ernie.awa.com.au/ArticleDocu...2054 Car Battery Charger User Manual.pdf.aspx

Charging programs:
    6V.................................7.3v~0.8a........(for 6v/1.2-14Ah batteries)
    Motorcycle..................14.4v~0.8a........(for 12v/1.2-14Ah batteries)
    Car..............................14.4v~3.8a.......(for 12v/14-120Ah batteries)
    Cold weather(<0c)......14.7v~3.8a.......(for 12v/14-120Ah batteries)

it can automatically pulse charge a deep drained <10.5v battery up to 10.5v then change to trickle until it is full.

considering i've used a Projecta 900ma charger and its been good, i think this should be fine. It'd totally hack together a terminal and connector kit though
  19. I got both today, not too bad at all!
  20. how about chucking it on a calibration tool, seeing how accurate it is, then using it for 12 months and chucking it on the calibration tool again?