Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aldi GPS

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by simon varley, Jul 31, 2009.

1. I've split this from the general Aldi discussion so that those with a passion for kidney belts and socks with padded shins can carry on without interruption. I hope that's okay.....

I've not fitted the unit to the bike yet because the power lead needs to be permanently attached to the battery. It comes with two bare leads so I think I'll crimp some connectors onto it first. Someone else mentioned fitting an in-line fuse which might be a good idea, but it does have a 12V --> 5V converter in line hich I hope is already fused

I charged it on the USB last night and fired it up in the car this morning. It got me into work okay (something Idon't always achieve on my own) and when I deviated from it's planned route it recalculated within a second or so. It knows the speed limit on certain sections of road but not all which is a bit frustrating - it thought the limit in Geelong centre was 0kph (I know we often only go that fast but the limit's 50)

The only thing that bugged me this morning was that the default navigational directions are very small. It wasn't too bad in the car, but on the bike I think the visual stuff will be very hard to read. There are a number of different settings that let this all be enlarged but I haven't had a play yet.

This is the first time I have had any sort of navigational equipment in the car other than a map and I was very surprised by how distracting it is. Can I suggest here that people really get to know the unit off the bike because Iwould really hate to think anyone had an accident because of being distracted. Similarly, it looks like the touch screen should be okay wearing gloves, but please don't be tempted to adjust it when riding.

anyway, the instructions supplied contain some of the more amusing Chinese translations that I have seen recently, and the installation guide is pretty much nonexistant. It also looks like the settings will need quite a bit of fettling, so how about using this thread to pool our knowledge?

cheers

Si

2. I was chauffeured in this morning (after work drinks tonight :wink: ) so I sat and compared it with the in-car one in the Azura. Wasn't all that fast but seemed OK, positioning was occasionally slightly out (while the car one was always spot on).

Showed all the fixed speed and redlight cameras as well. So far it looks to be value for money.

3. Something that should be pertinent is a description of the mounting system and what it can actually mount to.

ie. can it be easily affixed to standard "clip on" bars on sports and sports/tourers? Or is it for conventional pipe style bars?

What about a trip computer? Does it have one? And if so, what info can be displayed on it?

Pics of all the components would be nice too.

I just visited the local Aldi. Nothing there, so I'm hoping that I can score one somewhere. But in the meantime info on this product would be nice, even as a general chat about it.

4. When you go into the store ask at the checkout for them as they have them out the back and not on display.

Just picked one up myself but from a glance I might not have room on the Thndercat's handlebar. Can someone post some pictures of their GPS mounts?

5. Here you are.

Inside diammeter of handbar clamp is 23mm.
    GoCruiseGPSBikeCameramount.

GoCruiseGPSBikeCameramount2.

6. Doesn't look like that it'll easily clamp onto a "standard" clip-on style handlebar arrangement, does it?

Luckily for me I have a pair of adapters that are fitted to my bars which can take the round clamp arrangements. Currently they have mounts for a cycle computer and Etrex Legend GPS.

http://home.austarnet.com.au/mjt57/gps-mounts/

I need to source stainless bolts for the brackets as you can see from the rusting. Also, the brackets themselves, although made from stainless are also rusting a bit. But they do the job insofar as fitting stuff like these Navigators are concerned.

7. I'm sort of awake now. I have had a squizz at the posts here and would agree with most of the content. Certainly with most of the points Simon raised.

Riding on the Monash or Eastlink, it delighted in giving me the speed limit for all the roads we drove under or over. This was fine at first till I realised that it was given speeds that would not be on those roads and then some of the speeds it gave me after the freeways were off too (including the "0" limit Whilst driving through Prahran). I also found that on a road near me that varied between 60 -> 80 and then back down in the space of 3k's gave a standard 70 the whole way. I would assume that this is an issue with the route 66 software. I'll read further on updates.

As far as build quality is concerned: I'm happy with the unit itself and the bracket. My only worry really is the plastic cradle's plastic clip that locks the top of the gps into place as I nearly broke it removing the gps from it the first time. So be careful with that.

A work colleague questioned the lack of cigarette lighter connector if he wanted to use it in his car. Fair call, I know that you can get USB charger adaptors that plug into cigarette lighter sockets. (We have one of these for my son's handheld game console.)

Re the in line fuse; we chose this option to protect the unit and save fuss later. I too figured that 12v - 5 v converter would be fused but it looks like it would be hard to open if that happens and I would rather be safe than sorry with a $7.45 cost addition so went in that direction.

As Si mentioned too, distraction could be an issue. I have a Garmin for in the car but the novelty of having one on the bike caught my concentration a couple of times, but I realised and by the time I had got to the Monash I had it out of my system. As mentioned, something to be aware off.

Aside from the points above I was very happy with the unit. The small factors I can look past due to the great cost. It was easy for me to set up and use and I found the directions easy to understand.

On the Road it displays the Road that you are on at the bottom, the road you will turn to at the top, A symbol showing the next direction change and distance to it. also at the bottom it displays your speed and other small bits of info such as eta and distance left to destination. It also automatically changed from day display to night display automatically. As far as trip computer goes I will fiddle later and see what info is given.

It was easier to use than the Tom tom in my work car and on a par with our own Garmin. I always wanted a gps for the bike but was not going to fork out $900 for one. I'm glad I waited.

Cheers,

Day.

8. If you go through the many settings you will find that you can adjust the speed limits for various types of roads, highways, built up areas etc.
    The navigation settings had different selectable sizes and I believe there is a dynamic volume level setting which I think might mean that it increases the volume for you if it detects a background noise increase.

9. or more likely linked to your speed. I'll have a play on the way home tonight

10. Great to see an interesting thread on this.
    I have not fired it up yet, so I will comment later. :grin:

11. I've got it mounted to the clip-ons of my ZZR-250 alright. had to move some stuff around though - it's in between my brake level and the killswitch switchblock. Only problem is that in moving stuff around I seem to have screwed up whatever wire lights up the gauges and my tailight. Oops, hope that's an easy fix. Thankfully I didn't try to hook it up to my battery yet, otherwise I would've thought I'd done something much worse.

As for the GPS, not bad. The hands-free I thought would be terrible, but it actually works pretty well once you figure out where the ear holes on your helmet are and velcro it into the right place. The route calculation is a bit weird (it seems to love freeways but hate highways), but I'm not sure if there's some kind of traffic-dodging logic behind that - I know that I can get down the Pacific Hwy alright but it doesn't.

When you do what you like instead of following its route it recalculates reasonably - on one trip it was brilliant, as soon as I missed the turnoff for the (tolled) 'free'way it recalculated and sent me the way I wanted to go. On the way back it wasn't so good, trying to make me go all sorts of funky ways - but it might have been a more direct route, I tend to stick to the highways because I know where they end up :D.

Software seems pretty good so far, it even has different turn icons for easy turns, 90 degree turns and hairpins. I've really got to work on mounting it so it both points at me and doesn't get in the way of my screen though - I believe it can be done.

The main problem is with glare - it has a little visor but it's only of use if the sun's at the right angle. If there's direct glare you can't see much of anything.

Out of interest, what kind of inline fuses are you guys talking about and where would I get one? I want to hook it up to my battery but the idea of taking a cut-price product that's supposed to be waterproof and hooking it up to my battery is a bit daunting.

12. I had to do the same with my gpx250... not much room to fit stuff on the handlebars :p

One question i have tho, is ... how the hell does the headset fm transmitter attach to ur helmet? Iv got a shoei xr1000 and its got alot of padding on the inside and theres no way for me to attach it to the helmet.... any ideas? :S

13. There is a setting where you can get it to ask you each time whether you want to go the fastest way or the shortest way, or to avoid tolways or not, etc etc.

14. I've just noticed the setting with the tollways and the shortest/fastest route, I didn't see that you could get it to ask you about them each time though... how do you do that?

Because I don't want to drill holes in my helmet I've just been putting in my jacket pocket, works well enough. The velcro is really sticky, so you can stick the speaker in, put your helmet on then find a pocket for it. Reception is still pretty good.

Or you can just get a radio and get the GPS to broadcast on an empty frequency that the radio can pick up.

15. Go into GPS mode so the map comes up. Then go into OPTIONS-->TOOLS-->SETTINGS-->NAVIGATION-->TRAVEL MODE and select ASK ALWAYS.

16. Can you post some photos of your setup? (anyone else?)

What's the trip computer functions, if any, like?

That's a biggy. If you can't see the darned thing in daylight then it could be deemed as not very useful. How bad can it be?

You can get them from any auto store like Autobarn, Super Cheap Auto and so on. Go for a quality one made of bakelite. The whitish opaque plastic ones are rubbish. And get some spare fuses while you're at it.

Mount the fuse near the battery. Have a short run to the postive or red terminal. The negative, black or earth lead can be affixed to the frame anywere or it can run back to the battery.

The biggest thing about installing the wiring is removing the tank to run the cable from the GPS back to the battery. On my Blackbird you need a degree in engineering to perform this once simple function.

The purpose of the fuse isn't to protect the GPS. It's to protect the wiring. If a short develops it will blow. This prevents the wiring from overheating, insulation melting and a fire starting.

It's not difficult. But if you aren't handy with a soldering iron or using wire joiners and terminals and a crimping tool, it's better that you get someone to give you a hand.

While you're at it it could be a good idea too, to get someone to wire in a waterproof cigarette lighter socket or auxillary power outlet as they're called these days. I've got one that supplies the "car charger" unit for my Garmin Etrex. I'll be connecting one on a 2m lead to store under the seat. It can then be run out when running a compressor, or connecting to a battery charger which has a male fitting that goes into the APO.

All fused, of course.

If I get this Aldi GPS I'll wire it to the existing APO under the dash. That way I can simply disconnect it from the power source, unclamp it to keep inside when I'm not using the GPS.

17. Has anyone managed to successfully sync their GPS with their computer? Mine won't work and I don't know if it's my dodgy laptop, software or the GPS causing the issue. I do have the latest version of activesync already on the computer which the booklet for Route 66 askes for, but when I went to the activesync to make sure I had the most recent version it says it's not for use with Windows CE devices, which the GPS is. :?

18. Not very, in my experience - if the sun's in front of you the sunvisor stops most of it, if it's behind you you can block the sun with your body. Just the side angles that get annoying - if you're stopped at the lights it's easy to just shade it with your hand too. In any case, you shouldn't really be staring at it that much anyway.

The 'statistics' page has Speed, Travel Dist, Travel Time, Avg Speed, Max speed, Odometer and Total Time. That's the closest to a trip meter I can really find.

I'll try to get some pictures of my setup once I've got my bike actually working :(.

19. No time or distance to destination, next turn/intersection? That's a basic feature of a navigator and would be a huge minus if it's not on there.

Thanks.

20.  Top