Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ALDI bike gear

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by heffa, Sep 6, 2007.

1. For those that remember it from last year, Aldi are doing bike gear again on their next catalog. Starting Thur 13/9 (while stocks last..... which probably wont be long) they will be selling jackets, pants, gloves, boots, locks, tank bags (looks like the same ones as last time), and other gear.
    http://aldi.com.au/product_03/index.html

2. Did anyone get a bike cover last time? Just got the specials email, and wondered if the cover is decent.

3. Boots for $70! thats awesome. Too bad I have already got a couple of pairs =P

4. You can never have too many shoes!!!
    My GP recommends you wear a different pair each day - that's why women have so many pairs!

5. Did anyone get the tank bag last time round? Was just wondering if they're any good?

6. Yeah, I got one. Not waterproof (mainly the zips), but pretty good. Magnets could be stronger, but with the 2 webbing straps in place its pretty solid. Otherwise, an absolute steal for $50. Last time most stores were sold out by midday

7. Wouldn't mind the wet weather gear despite the hot season coming.
    And kidney belt and socks. The microflame gas torch OH MAD! jumping castle!!!! :LOL:

8. Thanks for the info. :cool:
    I've got an aldi on the ground floor of my building so can get in there pretty quick on the day. :grin:

9. i used mine daily upto about 2-3 months ago.....used it for my daily commute as well as for touring trips.....it's the best 50.00 buck i have spent......nothing wrong has falling apart on it (thought it would of by now anyway). Great IMO am thinking about just getting a second one for the value.....if and when my first one gives up :)

10. Appreciate the feedback...... :cool:
    Will post up my reviews once I have it.

11. I can't wait till they start selling tyres :grin: .

And they might open a service center ,like K-mart ,but for bikes :LOL: :LOL:

12. If the staff at Aldi are in a good mood, sometimes they'll put stuff aside the day before the sale starts... Wallsend store has been known to do this on numerous occasions.

13. I had a mate who bought all this gear last time they did this and it all starting to fall apart after about six months afterwards. But then for those prices, you can't really expect much :p

14. ALDI selling bike gear, hmmmm - that's like going to an RSL thinking it's a nightclub. Sorry folks but I would rather spend decent money on decent riding gear that I know is going to protect me when I am riding. My family shop at ALDI almost every week for FOOD - not for bike gear. Be smart people - protection is not about cost or about fashion, its about saving your ass if the worst should happen.

As for the bike covers they are selling - make sure it can go onto a hot bike or you will melt the material onto your pipes etc.

Cheers folks

(PS. I have joined her coz the OZ Blackbird Forum seems to have died. So far I am very impressed with NetRider)

15. So you wouldn't buy stuff from a place because of what else they sell? Thats like saying you wouldn't buy DVD's or CD's on ebay because they also sell lingerie.

The stuff they sell comes from manufacturers in Europe. We dont hear about them coz they don't normally export to Australia

16. Thats what I reckon Im going for. Although, I will have to look for a store in Northern NSW cause I will be on the road to Sydney on Thursday when the sale starts....

17. :) Point taken Heffa :)

And to answer your question - I purchase stuff not on what the shop may or may not sell, but on what I am purchasing. What ever else the shop sells is irrelevent (and ALDI has some top food products by the way). Though I am trying to get my wife to wear more lingerie :)

But at the end of the day the quality of the motorbike gear sold at ALDI is rather standard. I have seen this stuff because I was also interested in what it would be like. It does not rate in my books though.

All I am saying is make sure you check out the items they are selling and compare them to other more established and proven equivalent items.

At the end of the day it's up to the individual what price they put on their protection I suppose.

Cheers :)

18. The tankbag shouldn't be an issue, with regards to safety. I'm looking at getting one of them. Hopefully they'll have 'em in the local Aldi. Last time all they had left were a few left hand gloves (s) some pants (m) and that was about it.

Thing is, bike shops can also sell rubbish. They can stock $100 helmets or $1,200 ones. Does one offer ten times the protection or quality than the other?

19. I bought the boots last year and they are just all right. The gearlever plastic is ripping off after not much use and in a pretty heavy rain they will get a lot of water inside, but they czn protect you better than a pair of sneakers.

Will

20. Yeah, you get what you pay for and most of that stuff looks like cheap crap. If it weren't for australian standards, they would probably have a $9.95 styrofoam helmet. :grin:
    I can't imagine anything being wrong with any of their covers and so forth though.