Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Albury to the Island

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by bangalla, Sep 4, 2007.

1. G'day folks,

I'm thinking of coming down for the GP and am after a bit of route advice. I'd like to avoid the Hume Freeway so was thinking of coming via Mansfield and Healesville like this. I don't have an up to date map of Victoria so I was hoping someone with local knowledge can let me know if there are any unsealed sections on this route.

2. Okaaay, I dont know jack bout the roads before Beechworth, but know alot of the Ovens valley. The stretch between Beechworth and Milawa is fantastic, but u gotta be on the lookout for wildlife. Lots of roos and wombats crossing the roads.
    From memory, most of the Mansfield-Whitfield rd is still unsealed (lots of very loose gravel, often used for rally driving). When I was a kid, we used to take a route round the top of the ranges, thru Oxley, Moyhu, Lurg, Tatong and down to Swanpool. Then down Midland hwy and Midland Link hwy to meet Maroondah hwy. I cant remember the exact route (havent been that way in 15+ years), but with a decent road map it should be easy enough to work out.
    Also, the stretch from Yellingbo to Cockatoo is sealed, but not very well. Narrow in parts, soft gravel edges. Ridable, but requires a bit of care in parts.
    Sounds like a good ride tho. Should be great.
  3. I rode that route from Albury to Mansfield earlier this year. The road is sealed all the way and it is an excellent ride.

I am on holidays during the GP and that is the same route that we are looking at taking (if I can go).
  4. Its certainly a lot more interesting than the drone down the Hume Highway. You could also try the C543 and B500 roads which I think from memory are the Great Alpine Road (or parts of it). Its a bit more indirect and would make a fair size day trip, but would have great scenery. Australian Motorcycle News magazine normally publishes a list of different routes to take in one of their issues leading up to the MotoGP.
  5. I took a look at a road atlas in a book store today and it seems that there should be no unsealed sections anymore. :cool:

Now all I need to do is complete the juggling act required to get the time to go.
  6. What's the Omeo Hwy out through Mitta Mitta like??

I had to drive out to Mitta Mitta for work purposes on Monday and enjoyed the run from Wodonga and back. Is there still unsealed sections beyond Mitta Mitta and is it open during winter months??