Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

AJS help!

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Arlington, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Guys

I am looking for someone who can give me some information on a late 1940-early 1950's model AJS. The bike belonged to my grandfather whom passed away last week and I am very interested in getting my hands on one. I believe it may have been a 350cc engine with 2 and 3/4 hp however after this I am a little lost. I don't seem to be able to attach an image (not enough posts yet) however I can email the phot to anyone who is interested. I'd love to get in touch with anyone who knows about these bikes.

2. AJS are nice bikes :)
    I love them. They were a class by themselves, the AJS, the Norton, the BSA.

Good ol' memories :) *feelz nostalgic*

Hope you find your AJS soon. :)
  3. Ive seen them beigh sold as basket cases in just bikes, My grandfather used to ride a Vincent but i quickly dismissed one as an option because of the 55K price tag :shock:

is this the bike you mean?
  4. my bad 1940's and 50's not 20's

Verry intersting manufacturer, in 1911 they enterd one of their first bikes in the TT and ended up with over 100 world records! sounds liek they were just beating themselves at their own game for a while. In 1931 the company was sold to Matchless who had great succes with the bikes also. Later on in 1935 came along the clubman 250, 350 and 500 single i think this may be the bike you are talking about because it is their most renownd bike and was also possibly sold as a Norton or Matchless? this is what i could gather as it seems that these manufacturers conformed in 1938 as Associated Motorcycles or AMC?
    hope my rambling helps, lol
  5. Guys, thanks for helping out so quickly. Following on from your excellent advice I have had a bit more of a research and I am beginning to think that it could be a 1938/39 model called 'The Silver Streak'. This might make sense because the number plate in the photo reads CX-39. Heard of old number plates corresponding with madel years or anything like that?
  6. Actually... Change of plan. Possibly a late 30's model 26. Come on all you closet AJS lovers...
  7. I think it may be easier to replicate the Silver streak instead if actually buying one, with most older bikes they shared the same frame, forks wheels etc. this depending on whats available will save you time and money.
    The front mumber plates were probably fitted with model specific ones when they wre made and sold, but my guess would be they were thrown out to accomidate a registration plate whick was discintinued for safety reasons.
  8. This era of bikes are gorgeous! (At the moment, I'm trying to track down a Sunbeam S8 from my great uncle's deceased estate which would be great to restore) I've got a 1935 Sunbeam and a 1949 Norton myself.

During the 30's, several companies were taken over by AMC (Associated Motor Cycles Ltd), however several components between makers were already common - Burman gearboxes Amal carbs and Lucas Magnetos for example.

Restorations are pretty easy - primarily because of the common bits and pieces. Modac in Melbourne are great, there's a restoration place in Wangaratta as well from memory. Also, ebay is a great source for parts - but you do need to know what your looking for!

Good luck!

9. Kelst, would that be an S8 Twin Port? I was restoring one in NZ but left it behind when I emigrated here 30 years ago. Handsome bike.

Are we any clearer about the OP's bike? I have plenty of AJS references that might help.
  10. [​IMG]

You mean this one, Arlington?