Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Air or liquid-cooled bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Noxious, Aug 2, 2014.

1. #1 Noxious, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    Getting back into motorcycling after a long absence

Need to get a motorcycle leaner license and a motorbike

Considering a 2 to 4 year old Suzuki GS500

Would it's air cooled engine cope in sub-tropical Queensland or should I consider a liquid cooled bike ?

<mod-edit> Thread discussion does not belong in Riding Tips. To avoid future threads being deleted, please check the forums and read their descriptions to know where your topic belongs. Thanks, Justus.
  2. Air cooled bike will be fine. People rode them everywhere for many years before anyone stared putting radiators on bikes. On particularly hot days, it will be beneficial to lane split the traffic jams but other than that, no dramas. :)
  3. The GS500 will work no problem, just don't ride it flat out WOT for extended periods of time, they tend to seize solid if you do.
  4. Thanks for all the replies and reassurance
    It took me a while to find my way around the forum but I got here eventually
  5. They must have leaned it off to meet overseas emissions regs 'cos one of the best aspects of Suzuki 4-strokes used to be that you could do exactly this with no ill effects.

As for the OP, although I haven't ridden a GS in super hot conditions, my experience of other air-coolers in WA suggests that it'll be fine but may benefit from the use of premium fuel during summer if you spend much time stationary in traffic.

Just to forestall any queries, this is because, when stationary (no cooling air flow), the engine, and particularly the cylinder head gets hot. On pulling away, because you're now putting load on a very hot engine, detonation (pinking) may occur, characterised by a metallic rattle and a lack of power. The greater detonation resistance of PULP reduces or eliminates this. Mind you, I've found Japanese engines, with their excellent combustion chamber design, to be less sensitive to this anyway.
  6. GS motor is fine. Just make sure to do the cam-chain tensioners and check the oil to top it up. Oil starvation might be a problem as they tend to consume a bit inbetween services. Also always fill it up to full rather than just over the bottom - as the oil is used to cool the engine more is better. 04's onwards also have oil coolers
  7. I varied my oil, depending on season when I ran an air/oil cooled bike. Run a heavier weight oil in summer in Queensland. The manual will have a range. The manual was written with Japan, Europe and the US in mind, so select and oil from the higher end of the scale.

Just make sure you warm up the bike properly on cooler mornings.