Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Air filter POD style.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by munecito, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Hello.

I have bought a race engine to put it in the madass. This engine is oil cooled so I will have to fit the oil radiator somewhere and I think the airbox will have to go then.

So I was thinking in using one of those pod style air filters to allow the engine to breath better and to save some space. Now my question is: How do the pods do in the rain? Are they any good or they suck all the water? Is there a way to make them water tight?

I guess it is because I have seen them fitted to a lot of cafe racers and I saw a few of them riding in the rain last week.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

2. I've got a crankcase and air filter on my SR and ride it rain, hail or shine. There's no problems, as far as I can tell.

K&N do sell a cover for them.
  3. Defeats some of the purpose though maybe.

I'm looking at getting some pod filters for the SV, and maybe then even some tank risers, they're reasonable cheap too so if it doesn't work out its no biggy :grin:
  4. The ones on my old CB400N would clog up solid from water falling directly on them, sufficiently to kill the bike stone dead in heavy rain.

The first time it happened, I cut a couple of covers out of an old lemonade bottle I found at the side of the road and fixed them in place above the pods with some hose-clamps bought from a handy garage. No more problem for the life of the bike.

They weren't fazed by damp air, just by direct impingement of water.
  5. some of the other M109 owners have these on their bikes, One of these sticking out both sides looks mean!.
    They tell me riding in the rain is ok, only issue is parking the bike in the rain for extended periods of time.
    Most air boxes should have a drain hole for this purpose.

Here is an example