Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Air filter GS500

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Johnrhys, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Well i got home from an amazing ride and thought lets learn some general maintenance for my newish bike. (09 gs500)

Took the tank off (after closing the valve etc etc all that jiber jaber)

Air filter is disgusting and ratty..need a new one...

I know you have to rejett the carb after i do this. Any people have said run it a bit rich. but i dont know how to do it.

How much will rejetting cost at a local shop?

2. ???

I haven't re-jetted my carbs since putting in a K&N filter in my '10 GS500 and I don't think you will need to just because you now have a clean filter. You definitely won't need to if you just replace it with a standard one.
  3. Yeah, replacing the stock filter with another stock filter certainly won't require rejetting. It just means that your bike is currently running richer than it should be.
  4. Already bought a K&N :\
  5. I didn't rejet either. You sure you weren't reading about rejetting after installing a new exhaust or something?
  6. It isnt stock. (The air filter) So high flow air filter needs for the carb to be rejetted doesnt it?
  7. Ideally, yes. Practically, maybe.
    Try it without rejetting and see how it goes.
  8. Okay im going to pick up the K&N SU-5589 Pod :)

What will i notice if i do infact need rejetting? + how much will it cost
  9. Leave the jetting alone and you'll be fine.
  10. Main signs a bike needs rejetting are the colour of the spark plugs, and just simply how the bike runs.

Cost depends on how you try and tune it. Doing it yourself is cheap ($100 or so for a jet kit), but you're going to be spending a lot of time dismantling the carbs trying out various jets/settings. Other option is to take it somewhere with a dyno and/or exhaust gas analyser, which will be more accurate but obviously cost a lot more.

Really this is one of the reasons why it's so often said on NR that trying to chase more hp on a LAMs bike simply isn't worth it. It's a lot of time and/or money for probably only 1, maybe 2hp at most - and you'll also be losing "rideability" at low rpm. Edit: Filter alone should be fine, but if you start looking at replacing the muffler as well then you'll definitely be needing to change the jetting.
  11. You might want to get yourself a magnifying glass or similar if you don't already have one. The tips on iridium plugs are much smaller than on a standard copper plug. ;)
  12. Understand that (dad told me haha)

i just read up and it actually is saying to rejett after a filter.

A conservative Starting Point for upgraded Jetting (Pilots/Mid Main/Main) for a:
    Stock GS500 = 20/60/135
    Drop in K&N Air Filter Only = 20/62.5/140
  13. Just read where? Hopefully not a US site. They have different standard jetting to ours on late model bikes.
  14. you do know you need 2 pods not just one

'11 models don't because i got a full carb in from USA
  15. Sorry not a pod just the standard K&N Filter :)

cylinder looking one haha