Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ahhh, nostalgia ain't what it used to be

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Do you get more nostalgic as you get older?

When does nostalgia kick in?

Is the past re-invented to suit what you WISH it had been?

What would you think of the old clunker you had back then if you could own it again today (that's a bike, not a partner, for you embittered singles!!! :D)

Who knows, but I found this last night and almost cried for what I remembered; thousands of faithful miles in all possible conditions, and of all the bikes I owned, as I recollect, the one I loved the most.

But I fear if I had it now, it would sit in the shed most of the time and the Hornet would still be getting the bulk of my affection.

http://home.exetel.com.au/hornethome/XS-650D - 78.jpg

2. I've had my leg over one of those quite a few times, It wasn’t mine but a mates.
    Not as good as the Hornet up the Refton, but probably ok down the Hume

3. Nostalgia is really about the person, not the experiences. As people get older, we're usually weighed down with more responsibilities, longer working hours, greater stresses, greater financial stress, we get more jaded 'cos we've seen most things before, and so on.

Nostalgia is about remembering back to a less stressful time in one's life, when things were new and exciting, and humans being humans, it's easier to correlate a less stressful times in life with some new activity or experience that they enjoyed doing, or music, or whatever. Sure, the bike may have been an unreliable bucket of crap but you didn't care, 'cos it was about only thing in your life that you HAD TO care about. It was new, exciting, riding it made you feel good, and almost nothing else mattered.

Just my 2c of nostalgia.

4. When I did my brief stint at studying Psych, they astually had worked out a formula for Age vs amount of time spent reminiscing. Fairly obvious really, the more memories you have (ie the older you are) the more time you spend sitting around drooling and remembering the 'good old days'... Eh Hornet.

Back on topic, that old Yamaha looks very sweet, I wonder if in 20 years I'll see a Spada go by and go "Ooooh, I remember when..."

5. It WAS a sweet bike, and it looked good right from the start. I fitted a lower set of bars, but apart from that, that bike could have been mine. I used to park it outside the kitchen window at work (Army Chef) just so I could look at it while I was working :D.
    (DID have a vicious high-frequency vibration that destroyed every rack I ever put on it, however, but that's another story)