Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ahh time for this noob to get a bike and i need help (L's)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by beery, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Hello all :D Im going for my L's soon and i need to get a bike, ive got about $4000 (can get more i just need to save it).
    I am asking for all to give me their opinion on what they would thinkwould be a good 1st bike for me and what i should
    look for in protective gear. Also if theres any people around my age in NSW, whats the cost of insurance and rego like?

here's some info about me
    height: 6ft 4inch
    weight: 120kg
    riding experience: very limited

the bike i realy like is Suzuki Across.

thanks for your help.

2. hi, ive got an accross.. my first bike, and ive never ridden before doing my learners.. been pillion a few times, but was my first time at the helm. ive found the accross to be a great bike to learn on so far. very forgiving, easy to ride.. i went on a 2 hour ride on the weekend no probs. very few vibrations through the bars at 100 KPH.. and hardly noticed any below that.. umm.. i paid $3700 for mine, that was with 8 mnths rego and a ventura rack though.. and tis a 94 model. you might be able to pick a reasonable one up for 3G.. ive also spent $1200 on riding gear.. which is the miminum i was happy spending.. plus the limit of my budget.

my suggestion is look for a bike, keep saving, pay no more than $3500 for an older accross, and spend as much as you can on gear. and so it smartly. no point buying a pair of gloves worth $200, and a helmet woth $50..
  3. In NSW you can get some learner legal 500's aswell... yer a bigger bloke (around my size) so you might want to consider one of those...

perhaps a GS500 or similar...
  4. I should have stated that the $4000 is for the bike alone i was going to use my normal savings to buy the gear which is around the $1000 to $1500 mark givin the fact it wont be until the new year when i get the bike, so my savings should be more towards $1500 for gear.
  5. CB 250. It'll suit perfectly and when you're off restrictions, you'll get your money back. :)
  6. i'll sell you my cb250. where are you?

cb250 is very easy to learn on. and its cheap for rego/insurance. since its a naked, commuter, not high theft item. its very reliable, economical.

i've had it for 6 months now and its definitely served its purpose. ie helped me to learn/reliable.

now i want something little more exciting though.

minimum gear would be helmet/gloves/jacket.

i highly recommend you get helmet, gloves, jacket, back protector, boots, proper pants. get in the habit of wearing all this and you'll feel naked riding without it. i highly recommend because remember even a small off can hurt you. most my stuff i bought off ebay. saved lots!
  7. Somebody six foot four and 120kg probably won't have much fun on a CB250. ;p

Sorry to say guys but there's merely slow and then there's having trouble keeping 100 on the freeways!

Yeah, go the Across. Failing that a Honda Spada might be your thing. You can find decent examples of each for less than $4k.
  8. Hi beery welcome .
  9. a spada will probably be a bit cramped for someone 6'4" as well. i rode kaer's spada for about a month while my VTR was getting fixed and at 6'2" found it a little cramped compared to the VTR. the VTR has a higher seat and more upright seating position.

my advice, go and sit on as many bikes as possible before buying :)