Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aged tyres

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by sbk_750, Mar 3, 2012.

1. I came across this while going through some work files tonight, thought it may be interesting reading.

• Like Like x 1
  2. it goes on..

3. and on...

This is from a guide for passenger tyres, not sure if it relates to M/C tyres, but knowing the industry I'd say yes.
    Anyone got a Bridgestone they can look at to verify?
  4. For most manufacturers the maximum recommended shelf life of passenger car tyres is 7 years. Personally I would not touch a 7 year old tyre even if it has been stored properly.

For "R-Comp" or semi-slick car tyres, usually with a UTQ wear rating of less than 100, maximum usable life is about 3 years. Chemically these are quite different to "everyday" tyres as they are designed to form a momentary bond with the road surface at operating temperature.

From my limited experience, I expect decent bike tyres are more like performance car tyres than your average passenger car tyres.

I tend to go through tyres fast enough that they don't get the chance to die from old age. :D
  5. Unlike fine wine, tyres do not improve with age and should be consumed young.
  6. #6 jag131990, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Ohh so just like women then?
  7. No women are more like wine. The good ones definitely improve with age. The bad ones just turn to vinegar.