Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aftermarket pipes - staintune vs roo racing vs formula 1

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by flashfire, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Just wondering if anyone can offer their opinions on the quality/value/sound of the three aftermarket pipes that may be available to me. The merits of putting a pipe on a Spada aside, I'd like to know what people think of Staintune, Formula 1 and Roo Racing, especially if they have one on their 250 v-twin :)

Is there a major difference between Stainless Steel, Titanium & Carbon Fibre?

Any advice (aside from people telling me not to do it) would be much appreciated :)

gracias.

2. Staintune gets my vote. Locally made, brilliantly supported and it comes with the magic "tag" to satisfy Mr Plod.

3. Just go with whatever is the most expensive, you just can't overplay the 'Bling' factor IMHO.

4. +1 for Staintune.

A mate of mine has a Staintune setup on his VTR1000 and I'll be getting one on my VTR250 when I buy it.

Excellent sound, no big huge logo and a local product.

5. Yeah, I've got staintunes and they're pretty cool... But on a 250? I dunno. Seems like a waste of money.

6. I'd wait until you get the Monster. :D

7. Staintunes are durable and raucous... and aussie... 8)

8. I had a 'tune on the 600SS. Sounded very nice but was just a bit loud without the spud. Just a bit quiet with the spud in. Now it's running a full Ducati Performance system with CF can. Nice note at an acceptable level.

On a 250, go for whatever looks best/costs best/sounds best.

9. The roo pipe is made in Oz as well, but the last one I heard was really LOUD!!! It may get you unwanted attention...that's different to the wanted stuff.

Stainless Steel generally lasts longer

10. hmmm - it's a resounding vote for Staintune then.

I know it seems silly putting one on a 250, but I'm still on my L's and am gonna have the bike for at least another 13months, so I figure I may as well enjoy it as much as I can during that time. If I have $600 to spend on it, then why not? $600 divided by 13months = $46 per month. Not too outrageous.

Also, I have pipe envy. My partner has a freaken noisy thing on his CBR (Daishin racing or something), and I am consumed by feelings of inadequacy whenever he and I rev our bikes together at the traffic lights, at home in the driveway etc.

I want to be just a little more obnoxious. Ya know?

11. I hear you. When i get my ZZR i'm putting a pipe on it. It's a full muzzy system which changes it from a 2 into 2 to a 2 into 1 coming down the right hand side. Combine that with a jet kit and you get a little extra oomph out of it, aswell as sounding sexy. Like you said flash. In total your gonna have the bike for a MINIMUM of 15 months from start of your L's to the start of your open licence and that's provided you upgrade straight away. All in all i think it is worth it. Nothing can replace the value of fun and laughter.

12. Louder pipes mean cagers will hear you too.
    There is a degree of raising their awareness of your presence. :wink:

13. Definately!!!

Message too short

14. At least that's what we tell everyone, anyway. ;)

15. We walk a fine line between loudness that pleases US and alerts the cagers to our presence better than the pathetic horns with which most of our bikes are fitted and loudness that attracts the attention of Mr Plod.

16. Pffft. What's the point of a bike if you can't impress the womenfolk and annoy the establishment :p :wink:

17. Only one problem, Flash IS a womenfolk!!!!!!!!!!!

18. It sounds good in theory. :wink:

19. You forgot to mention Megacycle.
    Made ion melbourne and cost effective.
    Heard one on a spada and it sounded the goods.
    Also there was a vtr 250 at coffee night and his had a toon I think which sounded nice.
    Definitely gives the bike some character in the sound department, don't expect any performance gains tho.

20. Sweet - thanks for that smee. I wasn't aware of Megacycle but shall look into it. :)