Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aftermarket Pipe?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Browncoat, Mar 4, 2011.

1. I posted this in bike gear & accessories forum but no one responded.. possibly it is more appropriate here, possibly not. Hope i'm not breaking any rules or such, I just really want to know8-[

I am thinking about getting an aftermarket exhaust pipe for my 1996 YZF1000R.

Can someone tell me of the pros and cons regarding this. I am mainly thinking i'd like a crisper, snappier note to my bike.

Where are the best places to look at aftermarket pipes for this bike? How much will it likely cost me?

Thanks

2. Am I being shunned? [-(

3. Guess so.

4. try megacycles? ive got a short yoshi slip on on my 929, pretty loud but sounds awesome. fish around on ebay, most exhaust shops can mod them to suit your bike

5. Vote +1 for megacycle.

6. Ok thanks, how did the yoshi cost you?

7. my yoshi came with the bike, but i imagine it wouldnt be more the $400, try wreckers, they usally have heaps of aftermarket pipes around that u can knock the dings out of

9. thanks for that Res

As for pros of the aftermarket exhaust, you can get more power (though it will usually cost you a retune), the note makes you more noticable on the road.

The cons the noise can become annoying, it can get the attention of the cops and if you don't retune the engine you can cause damage.

Keep the original if you do it.

10. That is a wise choice.
    - better sound
    - traffic will be able to hear you before seeing hence making them search for you to locate you which in turn makes it safe too
    - don't only rely on your exhaust note for safety and practice your normal evasive skills whilst riding
    - looks nice
    - don't get something ridiculously loud which passes the legal road limit that attracts unwarranted attention from certain people
    - will your neighbours mind?
    The internet, cost depends if you get a slip on end can or a full system and is usually in the range of $400-$2000.
    Here is a link to a unique looking well priced slip on system for your bike
    http://www.blueflameperformance.com...otorcycle-exhausts/yamaha/yzf-1000-t-ace.html
    Other brands you could look at are Leo Vince, Yoshimura, Moriwaki, Akrapovic, Two Brothers, Arrow and the list goes on.

11. Awesome ResmeN!!

Thanks for the info and link.

Those slip ons look nice, would there be an appreciable difference(noise) between the stainless and carbon fibre pipes?

Would I need to do any modifications to the exhaust for a slip on to fit or do they just "slip on" as in the name? They attach via the existing bolt or nut holes?

12. You're welcome Browncoat. The beauty of these forums is that there are people willing to share their knowledge with one another in an informative and friendly manner.
    No noise difference whatsoever between the stainless and carbon pipes from what I know as it is purely aesthetics and whatever your eyes like more go for it. If you want to be sure drop a line to bf and they'll respond to you.
    As the name suggests it literally is a slip on where the cannon looking end part of you're stock exhaust will be replaced by the aftermarket one you bought and then you will start hearing sex noises coming from your bike that you never heard before. Arnie was explaining in Pumping Iron how after achieving the "pump" at gym it was like he was cumming all the time well that's how you'll start feeling after you put the new pipe on at all times while riding :)

13. I've got a pipe coming in the mail!

Its an "IXIL INOX".. i'd never heard of them before but looks to be pretty good. Ever heard of them?

How do I know if i've got to rejet my carbs?

14. They're carbs... they'll probably need rejetting. Not to mention if the bike had an EXUP system that will not be refitted then it'll disturb lowend flow characteristics.

You'll know they need rejetting if theres lots of popping and crackling on the overrun (as opposed to a nice 'burble' -ing sound) and a loss of throttle response and/or power... although thats admittedly hard to tell on a 1000cc+ sportsbike.

Try adjusting the CV's mixture screw first so the bike runs and responds best at idle, then go from there. Try a quarter turn outwards from stock (all 4 each time) until you get the best sound/running/response. You may still need a larger mainjet by one or two sizes. I generally get mine from the ebay seller 'nikau' - just search his store or ask him and he'll put them up. Buy one and two sizes over to save waiting-around-type hassles.

Cheers - boingk

15. Would the same be the case on an efi bike. I sometime hear a bit of snap, crackle and pop on the overrun and other times a nice burbleing sound. Is this ok? Dropping bike off to the shop today.

16. EFI will have the same symptoms, yes, as the engines are more or less the same other than the fuel delivery system, and they can still get a lean condition. If the snap/pop is occasional then its generally ok, but if its all the time then you've got problems. If its in a certain rev range (eg 6 to 7.5k) then you've probably just got a lean condition through those rev ranges.

Usually the only way to fix the condition on an EFI bike, though, is by buying an aftermarket ignition unit, or getting the stock one custom mapped. Talk to your local tuning shop about this as I have little experience with EFI other than diagnosing blocked injectors and fixing with compressed air.

Cheers - boingk