Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

aftermarket fuel pump 4 yamaha r6 1999

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by OutZero, Sep 15, 2007.

1. i was wondering about using a after market car fuel pump on a r6,
    i have found a pump that is the same psi rating as the stock r6 pump, 2-3psi and it flows 1.5L/pm would this work fine on the bike? i can't get new from yamaha they r out of stock and this is the other option becides putting another 2nd hand one in the bike, does the flow of the pump matter if it flows more then the stock pump?

2. It's hard to say for sure without knowing more about the pump. Can you ask the vendor what happens if the bike has enough fuel in it and shuts the fuel valve, yet the pump is still trying to feed petrol in? If it has automatic shutoff, or return feed of any excess petrol, it should be OK to try, at least.

Make damn sure you're not smoking at the time you install it :shock: :LOL: Also watch out for doing earth connections correctly etc so you don't get static buildup in the pump. And it would be a damn sight safer to test it by removing the carbs from the bike, and using a non-flammable liquid for the first tests.

Don't blame me if you blow yourself up or set the bike on fire or break the bike or etc, any effort that is non-manufacturer approved carries an element of risk.

Personally I'd try a 2nd hand genuine one if I could find one, because it will fit neatly in the bike, look + work original, and you won't have to worry about it.
  3. yeah i hear ya, i think i will just go with a 2nd hand one
    and order one from yamaha when they finaly get there stocks back up
  4. Hey, if the secondhand one works, just roll with it! The rest of your bike is secondhand, eh?