Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

After-Market Slipper Clutch

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Rush, Dec 21, 2006.

1. It won't be time for me to upgrade for another 3-4 months, but I am currently (this changes every month or so! :p) leaning toward the '07 CBR600RR or the new '07 ZX-6R. The Kwaka will have a slipper clutch, but the CBR will not. I was just wondering about adding a slipper clutch as an after-market option.

Is this even possible, and what effects would it have on the bike? How much more weight would it be adding? Should this be something done after, running in the bike, or can it be done straight away? Are there any other considerations I should take into account? Also what would I be looking at cost-wise?

If anyone has any idea about this or can point me in the right direction, would be much appreciated. Thanks :grin:

- Naveen

2. I know that RoadRocket used to stock Slipper Clutches for Ducatis (possibly the STM brand from Italy) and from that I guess he may stock them for Japanese bikes as well.

3. How often do you lock up the rear wheel when downshifting? :wink:

My answer to that would be not often enough to make it a deciding factor in purchasing a bike; and definitely not enough to warrant 'wasting' money on it as an aftermarket item.

4. I'm with Koma - isn't it easier to take some time and learn how to throttle on the down-change? It's quite easy on a bike, with a bit of practise. Easier than the car, anyway. :)

5. Well guys, thanks for the responses. I have no issues with throttle blipping technique, and I agree that it is the easiest and cheapest solution to compression lockup. However I am still curious to get some hard facts around my initial inquiry, so that I can make an informed decision as to the viability of this option.

So if using appropriate down shifting technique is all that is required, what is the advantage of slipper clutch technology? I also intend on increasing my track day participation next year too. So won't a slipper clutch assist in that regard too?

6. Did you know the R6 has a slipper clutch as well.
    They are great.

7. Yeah the R6 is a great bike. I gave up the idea of one after sitting on it. They sit a bit high for me. :)

A slipper clutch is by no means a pre-requisite to buying a bike. I just want to know whats involved with adding one as an after market option. All other equivalent makes seem to offer them as standard these days.

8. I love the slipper on my r6. Cook a corner a little, and you can just bang it back a gear or two, and save it very easy. The r6 is very high, and im very short, but the only time i have any problem, is walking the bike. Im not tall enough to sit on the bike and move it around. (i guess line-lockers are out too) but as soon as i get moving, the size dosent matter much.

9. I was considering it and despite the service manager having his 2nd hand one up for sale, he advised me against it. He thought it was overkill for my circumstances. I bought a shock instead.

10. The 07 CBR that comes in middle to late on the year will have the slipper clutch & probably new paint job too boot.
    I am really looking foward to this model. :cool:

11. Can I ask where you came by this information? Every article relating to the bike I have read, has stated that it does not come with one. It uses the Intake Air Control Valve (IACV) system to vary engine speed under braking. Said to work ok, but it's still no slipper clutch.

Is this a special mid year update to the bike; if so, why not just produce it like that from the start?? BUT I HOPE YOUR RIGHT! :wink: