Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

After market indicator wiring question

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Puffin, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Hi there,

I have purchased some after market indicators that contain only one wire with one connection. Problem is, my VTR's stock standard indicators have two wires and two connections (sounding ignorant enough already?)...

I attempted to wire the rear lights up as a test, but all it did was cause the standard front indicators to flash rapidly while the new lights wouldn't work at all.

Is it possible to use these lights by modifying the wires or adding some sort of adapter, or am I better off selling them on eBay?

2. I don't get it? There should be a +ive and a -ive wire. Do you have any other info/pics on the said indicators?
  3. The negative probably grounds through the body of the indicator, so it needs to be mounted to metal that is part of the frame or is attached to the frame so the circuit back to the battery can be completed.

4. Now that makes sense. Just like the number plate bolts that have an LED in them.
  5. Steve's advice is on the money.

Firstly, if the indicators are not mounted to metal that is in contact with the frame, you will need to run a wire from the indicator bolt to either the frame or the other connection that the stock indicator used.

The way I would do this, is to use an 'eye terminal' on the mounting bolt, and whatever type of connection is used on your loom on the other (spade or bullet?). The eye terminal will be placed on the mounting bolt, between the washer and the nut, and the other connection will be plugged into the loom.

Use the same size wire as stock, preferably same colour. Solder the wire to each terminal, covering the joins with heat shrink (or electrical tape if you must).

If the after market indicators use a normal incandescent globe, I can't think of any reason why it matters which way you wire it up, but for consistency run the wire attached to the bolt to the negative terminal on your loom (the negative wire for both the left and right indicators will be the same colour [probably green with a yellow stripe] whilst the positive will probably be different). If your after market indicators use LEDs, it will matter, so make sure you wire it as above.

If, after all, your indicators are mounted to metal which connects to the frame, you should be able to solve your problem simply by connecting the existing wire to the other terminal on your loom.

Let us know how you get on.
  6. Thanks guys - after a few passes I got that down..

I'll give it a go in the coming days and let you know :)
  7. Problem solved - you guys were totally spot on.

Thanks again!