Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

After Market Centre Stand?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by RobE, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Why is it that bikes stopped having centre stands? Such a useful device for all sorts of reasons.

Is it just because it was easy for bike designers to run the pipes down low that way?

I am sure that the Hornet would still go hard enough to scare me even if it was burdened down with such a "load".

Is there such a thing as after-market centre stands? Has anyone retro-fitted a salvaged side-stand as a project?

(Please don't explain to me about paddock stands. They are lovely but on trip they would take up too much space tied to luggage rack.)

2. Yeah there is such a thing as aftermarket ones. Call up any dealership or google it online. There might or might not be one for your bike.

I've had to get a genuine for my bike, but it didn't come WITH it (my Triumph).

Good luck!

(p.s - I agree. all bikes should have them, and if the owner doesn't want it should remove it... unless it's designed specifically as a track bike, like a SS Ducati etc)
  3. Agreed. I love my centrestand.
  4. Remember standard centre stand as one of the factors leaning me towards GS.
    A lot of suzi models still have them as standard items.

Shouldn't have no issues finding aftermarket one and make sure it's correctly fitted.
  5. I have a centre stand on my Ducati, but I am slowly grinding it away on the road.

Now I'm not sure why I bothered. :D
  6. Honda do sell a centrestand for the Hornet, so should be available from your local dealer.
    If thats not available, the likes of SW Motech do aftermarket centrestands for various makes and models.

The cynical amongst us would say they don't include a centrestand as standard is so the manufacturer can claim a lower weight for the bike, can reduce the price of the bike (by not much) and can charge you even more when you have to purchase it later.
  7. I've been thinking of removing the stand on my GS500....it's much too easy to drag it along the road - would it be that hard to bolt it back on when I need it?
  8. No. If you can take it off, you can surely put it back on.
  9. This is why I'd never have one - It's all about ground clearance!
  10. Some arrangements mean getting the spring back on is a biatch.

also ask yourself if you need a centre stand or if a workshop stand is fine. I fabricated my own out of scrap steel for the project bike.

But I must admit a good centre stand is hard to go past. The Laverda one was such that the front wheel just touched the ground. You could take the front wheel off and the weight distribution would have the bike sit on the back wheel.
  11. I'm going to tinker with the suspension a bit to see if I can win some ground clearance back again - will have to see if the existing center stand is still viable after the suspension changes - it's not going to take much of an increase in down travel to render it pretty useless anyway.
  12. Spring puller FTW! Or some #8 fencing wire.
  13. yeah the spring pullers are so cheap anyways it's fairly easy :D
  14. lying on your back, balancing the bike (because the centre stand doesn't work yet, stretching a spring, trying to get bolts lined up.

But yeah, there is should be no reason why a center stand shouldn't go back on once removed. just saying that some arrangments can be a biatch.

I've often wondered about having a centre stand with a quick release type arrangement. Wouldn't need a spring, because you take it off for riding, but have the centre stand handy in the shed for working on the bike. Better than front or rear stands (as I've just confirmed the hard way).