Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

After learning/riding techniques DVD

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by MR MT07, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Hi Fellow Bikers,

Please bear with me as I am still a newbie, but after a good learning/riding DVD to become a better rider. Just got my P's and ordered my bike so need riding help and lots of it.
  2. Twist of the wrist! YouTube have a lot of clips on there but there is a pdf of it floating around the net for free I believe.

Bear in mind it is a lot to do with track racing but it's very applicable to street riding :)
  3. Cheers Mate!
  4. I agree with the above, I got hold of a copy ;) of Twist Of The Wrist Two and it lives on my iPad.

I have watched it many times and have found it really good.
    If nothing else the 'quality' of acting in the movie is priceless :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Forget about twist of the wrist for the first few months or so.
    It's way too easy to take the information presented incorrectly.

You'll be better off initially with a book similar to Proficient Motorcycling (start with the first part).
  6. Dima has a good point but my vote is for twist of the wrist II as well. As far as understanding a bike goes its pretty good. I would also say read, watch and ask about everything you can get your hands on. Several times.
  7. (y) Sounds Fair.
  8. I'm in a similar situation to you, I've been reading Proficient Motorcycling like dima suggested since I the day I got my Ls. The tips in there and a bit of practise have me riding on the road fairly confidently(still learning my new bike, new tyres a little slippery). I plan to get a copy of Twist of the Wrist too, but from the clips it seems a bit more advanced. There's plenty of basic and intermediate instructional videos on youtube as well to watch I've seen as well.
  9. #9 dima, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
    Guys, can we please stop bragging about twist of the wrist especially to someone who just got the L's.

The guy will be learning basic bike controls.
    The right information should come at the right time.
    The first weeks or months isn't the right time for twist is the wrist.

The bloke will be struggling with gear changes and ckutchless upshifts may become a revelation for him among other gazzilion little things that most of us take for granted.

Now throw slightly track focused, technical and hard to relate to information at that and you end up with the rider who thinks he knows a lot, (likely incorrectly understood) but has no idea how to properly put it to practice and gain valuable experience from that knowledge.

Timing is everything...
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. It's just my 2 cents worth.

I have been riding for about 12 months and after I got my P plate a very experienced rider I know suggested that book/movie to me.

Now I agree that there are quiet a bit of track stuff in it but I found it very helpful in giving me tips and pointers on the physics of cornering and how to corner.

With all advice and information you take what you find works for you and leave the rest.

11. I found attending the St. Ives 'advanced I' course, open to P platers, really helpful in the practical application of improving cornering and braking etc techniques much better than reading a book or trying to self teach... As dimadima says, it's too easy to misinterpret the info provided.. with a full day to practice & with a qualified instructor you get specific advice based on what they observe you need to work on...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. get off the couch and go riding, practice the skills you have been taught. if you feel you need more tuition book in with HART or Stayupright.

Personally I think just riding lots will be more beneficial you will soon figure out what your weak points are and can work from there
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I have to agree with dimadima and twistngotwistngo that the rider risk series is a great way to learn. I've gone back to review them again, great simple lessons.