Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

After getting your L's when can you start riding?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Bogus69, May 4, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am going for my Ls this weekend!!
    I am doing it with HART. Will they give me a license on the day or do I have to wait for it to come in the post?

    I want to go test riding on Mon and Tues.
  2. They'll give you a temporary on the day.

    ... if you pass. Muahahaha.

    as mipearson said, they give you a piece of paper that says you passed, thats valid for like a month or something and the L licence will come in the mail within a couple of weeks.

    and you'll pass, its WAYYYY fuggen easy :D
  4. The piece of paper is valid for 60 days, if you don't receive your Learners in the mail by the 55 days you then need to go Vicroads with your temp lic and they will issue one on the spot.

    PS. Guess what, I didn't receive mine and went to VicRoads who issed me the learners, then 2 days later another arrived in the mail.
  5. My plastic licence arrived in the mail in about 3-4 weeks.

    Good luck for the weekend!
  6. :oops: i did say a month 'or something'..... its been a while since i did mine :oops:
  7. thanks guys!

    can't wait to get a bike
  8. Spot on Steve, the paper "Vic Roads interim licence receipt" (ya paper learner permit) is issued by the learner permit provider and is valid for 60 days. The provider gives the paper work to Vic Roads whom then (depending on which office you are talking about but most are the same) hold onto the paper work and allocate one day a month for a staff member to enter all they have on hand for the month. So the longest delay for the plastic fantastic to come should be 4 1/2 weeks or less. Unless there is a stuff up in the system or the post is slow. The provider issue a leagal learner permit as soon as the ATO (Autherised Testing Officer) signs the receipt, but cannot issue a plastic one as Vic Roads have issues of security, plus need to hold on to some administrative tasks.

  9. wow. we have to go to the rta with the little peice of paper and fork out more cash before we can get ours. i think our courses are cheaper than yours though so i guess we can't complain.
  10. Lol. Although they should not charge you to issue when you go to the RTA as the little piece of paper is a receipt that you have already paid for it :D

    Why are there delays? One main reason, who is the competition??

  11. good luck on the weekend

    im also getting mine this weekend at Armstrongs

    make sure u request the instructor to teach u countersteering, harts doesnt teach it unless u ask for it

    i hear countersteering is very important and can save your life
  12. The little peice of paper is to say you passed the course which costs $66 then you have to pay the rta to sit the computer test another $39 in nsw