Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

After an off.....how is your confidence?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Grey Gentry, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Ok..I had an "off" at a track day. Now back on the bike on the road, my riding is suss. Where do I go from from here?

2. Back to basics? Don't ponder too hard on what you did on the track that made you come off, it happened and you move on.

I've not had an 'off' but I have had two weeks without riding. When I was checking out fluids and tyres, I had a slow mo drop of the bike. Nothing damaged, just had to read adjust one mirror. Didn't feel nearly as bad as my first drop.

Got the bike back up in no time, got organised and went riding. Felt a bit detached from the bike but still kept things moving. By the end of the day, it was like I never had the break.
  3. Use the rational part of your brain to get over the natural self protection hesitancy. You did it before, you did it fine, you can edge your way back up to the skill level and confidence you had before.

After my track offs, I started slaloming everywhere... which helped get confidence back in the grip of the tyres. My SR's were amped up and I created controlled situations where I knew the SR's would react and then I logicced them away - especially if it was a situation I confidently handled before. Bit by bit you knock back the reduced comfort/riding window the crash has caused.

Good luck GG.
  4. When i had my first off, it took me a few weeks to get back to where i was...its more of a mental thing, and a lack of confidence in the tyres.

Ive thought about the issue ALOT, and i still cant pin point the issue with 100% certainty. All i know, is that on that specific corner...i dont go to the knee scraping extremes that i was before, because its a very challenging corner technically i think. I dont think ill ever get fully over that, until i understand how it happened.

People familiar with the devils elbow in newcastle would know what im taking about, its a change in elevation, camber, and speed. I lost the back wheel, before the knee scraped, it was an interesting situation thats for sure. I didnt take my usual line through the corner, rather i hard braked and depressed the front wheel released, throttle on, and i thought i was back at balance, and took the corner quite tightly, so tightly the elevation difference between front and rear wheel would have been significant, the back let out and down i went in low slide glory. It was the back that let go first for sure.
  5. The last off i had was downright nothing more than a stupid mistake and a bad judgement call on a corner at speed, i basically copped the sun in my face rounding a right hander and twisted my head left instead of ducking it straight down. The bike naturally ran wide and we both kissed the embankment pretty hard.

I was more wary off my mistake the next outings, but not confident. I overcame this by making sure i got straight back to the sight of the off and rode that corner at the same time of day, this time doing things properly. Confidence restored, lesson learned, never to be repeated, practise practise practise.
  6. Ok so I am a leaner so this might not be terribly relevant, though after my relatively serious off, I spent a lot of time during recovery going back over what I could remember of the acident and dtermining what I did wrong, the best I could.

In my case it was clearly rider error (no surprises there) so in my mind the task at hand was to learn from that, gradually put myself back into theat situation, pegging it up each time, until I got fully back in the saddle....

I knew I could do it, I just screwed up once.... u know you can do it, so focus, as someone else said, when u find yourself thinking "oh crap, this is what I was doing when I came off" fight that back with the otehr part of your mind that says "yeah, but I know what to do, I know I HAVE done it before, I know I can do it... shut the f*&%^ up and just push though it" - I found a few brief moments of terrifying anxiety later, I was through the bend and the next time was better and better and now I never think of it.... a few short weeks later.

BUT.... I certainly learned a lot by coming off and recovering my mojo in that way :)
  7. Get a dirt squirt and get used to falling off??
    Good advice Rob :nail:
  8. Get up and shake it off - please...... :?

There are alot of factors that determine how quickly it takes you to get back upto speed. The type of accident, how serious the accident and the injuries, what casued the accident........

If you end up breaking your body pretty badly, it will take a long time to come upto speed - those disagree have issues :eek: :grin:

When you feel confident enough, then get back upto speed and dont let anyone tell you any different. Is it mental, sure. But we all handle incidents differently.... Look at the WSBK and GP riders, when they have a bad fall they take their time coming back - sometimes they never come back.......

It is all upto you Bubba :grin:
  9. there's a track in newcastle?

More details please!

Only off I had was because I was in a much slower group, I found the oil before everyone else. The next corner 3 people went down and the day had to be ended. even then it fcuked with my riding.

It didnt really effect my road riding, but on the track I wasnt having fun.

Nothing but riding will get you back on track
    You need to get back out on the track
    Maybe do a superbike school
  10. Sip o' courage!

11. Your confidence will be shot to shite no matter what. All the thinking in the world isnt going to make it better.

I agree you should re-visit your actions and learn something from the off.
    It wont help your confidence though.

Get back on the bike and build it back up, its the only way it happens. Some people build confidence quicker than others, dont worry if you feel a bit hesitant to push the bounderies. In time it will be no big deal again.
  12. Grey, depending on the nature of your off, expect it to knock your confidence down a bit for period of time...but also be aware that most of what you might experience is a "mind-game".

If it is something specific, like tyre grip, then you can only work up to putting your faith back in your tyres, but pushing through the SR's you feel...reinforcing your technique and craft.

Remember one thing...using the same example....your tyres gripped ok every other time, it was just on that occasion that you reached their limits.
    So base your logic on the majority of times, and don't focus just on that one specific instance of failure.

13. I had a high side on track that I was lucky to limp away from. It stole heaps and heaps off my lap times. I rode around for a while like an old woman (just an expression, no offence to eldery ladies intended) and I'm only just now starting to ride with the same aggression.........13 months later.

Out of frustration I bought a trail bike late last year. Having the rear wheel slipping and sliding in dirt definitely helped me with my road riding. As well as lots of bike time.

Good luck :)
  14. Thanks for the replies. I know it's a mind thing. And it only applies on the road....as I've been "scraping pegs" again already on the track.
    I'm having trouble lifting my eyes away from the road in front of me searching for gravel/debris. But the gravel was not apart of the "off", I just locked up the front brake, and lowsided, on a straight.
    I know I'll get through it, with time, and a new set of tyres are coming which will help too.

Four40 Back to basics is the go.

robsalvv Use the rational part of my brain? :LOL: But I do know what you were saying.

bluezx14 Dirt bike? Nope, they're to bloody dangerous...and I'm too old to fall off too often. I found I don't bounce very well. :oops:

Sir Skuffy Yep..get up and shake it off. I feel I need a long ride, 400k+ I'm sure that would help.

Ktulu Courage..nope I don't think so. :-k ..but (a lack of) confidence yes.
    But that stuff gives false confidence. :p

raven I've had other "offs", which although not as serious, they haven't mucked up my mind as much. Could be I'm feeling a little mortal? :roll:

:idea: The confidence will come, once I get my eyes up again. At least I think know what the problem, and the solution. Your replies confirm that.
  15. Mate there's not a magic bullet, just time spent in the saddle. A way you can accelerate the process is to ride behind an evenly matched mate and tail him for a few hundred clicks.
    Spare a thought for the racers who can have a monumental in practice, and still be 'on it' come race day. It's got me buggered how they do it, (though I'm not saying they all can.)
    Still, we're only mortal, where clearly some of them are not.
    Last little tip, don't sweat it, it just prolongs the process. I've found going back to find the fun factor every so often renews my appreciation.

Have fun now,
  16. I would say that if you plan on not crashing again GG then it is definitely going to mess with your head. Either you would have to ride to a level where you're comfortable with the odds of coming off, ride beyond that level but be constantly thinking about it (what you're doing), or wait long enough to forget the finances/pain/recovery time (delusion).

My choice is to accept crashing as par for the course, although I do seem to bounce well (mostly). I always expect to come off so I'm not really bothered by the thought of it happening again (and again, and again).
  17. a little pain makes me ride like superman.
  18. doing a superman makes me feel pain :LOL: