Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Affixing throttle rocker (permanently)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by mattb, May 6, 2008.

1. I've been using a throttle rocker for a year now and love it - even though the bike's a 500, probably because it's a single it can feel like a 250 on the highway - you gotta put (too much) effort into holding the throttle open. Any way, I mount the rocker over foam grips (which are necessary on an old big single), and over time the foam compresses and the rocker won't stay in place anymore, becoming useless. Currently I've bodged the rocker in place tentatively, wit helectrical tape. I'd like to permanently affix the rocker to the throttle slide and, as this probably involves slicing the new grips I just bought, I want to get some opinions and do it right first time. How would others attach the rocker? I figure cut a slit in the grip, and glue the rocker directly to the slider with the palm rest exiting through the slit. Would others use glue and what glue (that won't fail over time)? What about a metal ring over the slider, under the rocker, to which I attach the rocker via something through a hole drilled in it? Any other ideas? I want to do something that will be permanent.

Matt

2. My rocker was such a bastard to get on being so tight it will never move.
    Have you got the correct size?

3. Yeh, mine's difficult to get on in the first place, and nice and tight for a while, but then the foam compresses :(

I buy what appear to be a generic 'one size fits all'...