Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Aerosol chain lube types: experience?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Yarique, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Hi there,

Had been happy to make myself accustomed to bike chain care with Motul chain cleaner and road chain lube until bought my first big bike from a very nice guy who also threw in much good stuff including a paddock stand and a can of Bel Ray chain lube. So far, the Motul lube spreads over the chain (of my older smaller bike) way better but stays as sticky as chook poo, never drying up and always collecting debris, whilst the Bel Ray lube is just dry from the outset making the chain develop just a few minor patches of rust on its exterior. Still unsure which is better for the chain. Mechanically, the chain shouldn't care about its exterior, right?

Thanks!

2. I don't know much about chain lube or chook poo, but my mechanic recommended the Motul.

3. i went from belray to motul. in my opinion the motul stuff is better.

the half empty can of belray is now used on my mountain bike!

4. :? You don't want the lube to dry.

Motul road for the win.

5. I use Motul Road also... so thats a +1 from me also :)

6. Haven't tried the Motul, but I didn't really like the BelRay chain wax... Like you, the chain got rusty & I don't think much of the wax got under the rollers...

Lately I've been using the Adhesive Chain Lubricant from Supercheap, the trick is to spread it around (& over the o-rings) with a toothbrush.

7. I've always used Motul on various recommendations, and it's always been good, but can't offer a comparison. I use the Factory Line stuff, which is a couple of bucks dearer per can, but it's white so you can see exactly where it is.

8. I thought the dry(er) stuff was for off road... or something?

9. I also use Motul...good stuff,sets up quick, no fling off so it stays on the chain and wont create 'spooge' (yeah I made that up...it's the flung off gunk plus road shiz)behind the front sprocket cover that can accelerate wear on ya sprockets and links.

10. I like the motul. Penetrates well, then sets up white and waxy. I think it's great stuff.

11. I'm currently trialling Nulon thick-as-fvck gearbox oil as advised by a rider at work. Unlike the tacky spray-ons, this stuff does fling off but it also never collects any crap. Just ride into the garage each night with a hot chain, give the oil-can a squirt over the top run of the chain, and every few days get a rag and wipe off the few spits of oil on the pipe. I'm impressed so far. Oh and it's also cheap as hell!

12. whatever brand you use

[​IMG]

13. When I got the 900, the chain was already lubed with what I was told was the BelRay, so I decided to give it a go rather than cleaning it right off and applying the Motul (Factory Line) I'd been using on the 250. (I've read here on another lube thread that this is the thing to do, otherwise its fling-city for the first couple of applications.) They seem pretty similar. Both go on white. Perhaps the Motel would tend to coat slightly more thickly. Anyway, my thoughts so far:

The BelRay was very good for summer riding. It'd last about 400kms max., but then I tend to apply it sparingly and often. It needs to be put on when the chain is hot, rather than just warm. I know that its just generally good practice, but the temperature does seems to affect the BelRay more.

The BelRay seems to fling less than the Motul did, but the 250 lived outside and I tended to coat the whole chain to protect it from rust. With the 900 I tend to concentrate just on the rollers and the inside of the plates (outside gets a wipe with the rag after) so the comparison isn't a fair one. The BelRay appears to me to be much easier to clean off when it does fling. I do like this about it, but, again, it's a different bike and I'm not sure if this is partly due to difference in the surfaces it's flinging onto (bare metal rims vs painted metal).

BelRay appears to be less resilient in the wet, and I really don't like this about it. (My garage is cramped and the light isn't good, so re-applying can it can be a pain in the arse after dark.) I don't ride far to work, but 10kms is enough to start clearing the centre of the rollers of lube in the rain. After it's dried off after being wet from rain is when it appears to get dry and shitty. Of course this will happen with all lubes in the wet, but from memory I don't remember this being such a problem with the Motul, or at least I don't remember being so alarmed by it.

Also, I've noticed that some of you clean the chain each time you reapply, some of you (like me) leave it and clean the chain when it seems to need it (maybe every 4-6 months). The BelRay appeared to clean easier and need it less than the Motul. Perhaps this is because the Motul was just sticker, and picked up more shit. Conversely, perhaps this is why appears more resilient.

At present I'm thinking of cleaning the chain thoroughly next time I wash the bike and going back to the Motul, at least for the rest of the winter. (As I said, I was perfectly happy with the BelRay during the dry weather.)

I'm thinking I'll try the Motul Road this time. Can anyone tell me how it is different from the Factory Line? Is it white? Does it fling less or more? Does it appear thicker/thinner when applied? How does it compare in terms of resilience in dry and wet weather?

Thanks.

14. Ogden, thanks for your extended report! It's good to know that somebody else conducts a comparative study of chain lubes, too. And your suggestion that Bel Ray be applied on a hot chain is much appreciated. (y)

Motul Road is what I've been using on my 250cc. It hasn't been noticed to fling, but it's a) quite sticky, thus collecting crap, and b) colourless, so it can be hard to tell if the chain needs more lube before the next regular care. Of course, (a) also contributes to even coating and no flinging while (b) can be remedied with shorter lubing intervals. AFAIK, common mechanical wisdom holds that the frequency of lubing is way more important than the amount and quality of lube applied.

(If anybody cared to pop in to Thirlmere railway museum before or after going to George IV Inn, Picton, they may have noticed that steam locomotives used to have crude scottoilers on all important bearings.)

So we are arriving at a funny conclusion here that we shouldn't really care about our choice of chain lube until we are going to strip it off to clean the chain. But then it's when the lube quality can matter! :)

15. Yarique, the thing that I do like about both the BelRay and the Motul Factoryline is that while they go on white, they immediately turn dark/grey along the sprocket teeth and the chain's rollers as soon as you're out on the road. I've kinda learnt to read the lube. If you look at the rollers sitting around 10 o'clock on the back sprocket in the daylight, it'll look medium grey with darker waves. So long as it has these waves, which is the lube being smushed about, the chain is adequately lubed. I've noticed that these waves tend to disappear at the same time that the back of the sprocket teeth will get a shiny band (i.e. no lube). Keeping an eye for these waves is the indicator that I need to crack open the lube again, but getting down and eyeballing the sprocket is will be the critical test if your not sure.

Does the Motul Road stay clear? or will it go tend to darken as it picks up grime? (I expect it would, but not having used it, don't know.) I've always been shocked by how many bikes I see in Melbourne that have shiny bright chains and so don't appear (to me) to get any lube. Not all of them are rusty, so maybe what I though was a lack of lube, it just the clear stuff? How do you spot the fling? (Again, I imagine it's grimy, but not having seen it... Sorry if these questions appear stupid, but not having used a clear lube it's a bit of a mystery to me.)

If anyone has deliberately chosen the Motul Road over the Factory Line (robsalvv, dimi), what was your reasoning?

16. Motul road is clear.

When the Motul road gets dirty it goes black, but because it's a light product, it cleans up readily. If you're made of money you can even clean the chain by dousing it in motul road and wiping the crap off.

Anyway, yes, because it's clear you don't know whether you've covered it well - but if you regularly give it a squirt, the risk of always missing the same bit is pretty minor. PLUS, it leaves the chain with a wet appearance until the light fractions/carriers weather off - at which point the chain is slightly tacky to the touch and fling off is minimal. In the wet state, capillary action is making sure lube gets into nooks and crannies and whatever is on top of the rollers helps look after the sprocket. All typical MC chains need lube under the rollers. O & X ring chains have factory sealed lube at the pin level, but we're lubing to look after the rollers more than anything else.

There are column miles of written material on NR about it.

I used to use some Shell advanced chain lube crap, then got put onto a wax crap, then when I learned a lot more about chains picked a clear lube that had cred and wasn't too pricey. Motul road was it.

17. guess i'll toss out the belray and by me some Motul then, for no more spooge

18. Opps! Quite right. Typing one thing while thinking the other.:facepalm: Gotta proof read more...

Anyway, you've pretty well answered all my questions. Your description of the Motul Road does sound pretty good. Like Monkeyman, it seems like I'll be looking to see if I can scrape together some loose change.

Again, Much thanks, Rob!

19. I haven't posted for a while but I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Opinions on which chain lube to use is based on personal experiences and preferences.

Personnally on road bikes I have found Silkolene Titanium Chain Gel to be top notch. This stuff can be found at supercheap auto and I usually pick up a can when I buy motorcycle oil there.

Currently I own a early model DR650 (1992) and the best lube in my opinion for this bike application is Motul Off Road Chain Lube. Started using this on recommendation from local bike shop.

At the end of the day, keep trying different types of lube until you find one you like, then stick to it.

Cheers

20. I had near the exact same experience but skipped the wax stuff. Started with the Shell advanced lube then moved onto Motul Road after a few people that i knew recommended it. I've been happy with the product but i havnt had a wide range of experience in other types of lube.