Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advise on Speeding Ticket

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by V2, Nov 5, 2006.

1. I was riding with 4 others today (all stangers, I was just taging along) and being last in the line, I was the one who got pulled over (Police car with radar on roof). I was speeding, so no problems there. I have 2 questions :-

1. I pulled over, the others kept going. Hyperthetically, if I had known who the other guys where, could the police officer have asked for names and contact info, and then sent everyone a ticket?

2. The officer spent Ducati as Ducatti, two T's). I've been told that this may be a technicallity. Sounds abit far fetched to me, but I figured I'd better check it out! Any way out of a ticket is good.

Thanks
    Harry

ps - I am in Queensland

2. eeeerm, good luck.

but i say cop it on the chin ;)

3. the spelling mistake will be considered a simple error and its not really a fundamental error.

legally you are not required to tell a policeman the names of someone else, only yourself. In that situation, even if you did know them i'd just cop it sweet yourself and say you didnt know the others.

4. mate if your going to pick the police officer up on his spelling then... oh never mind.

i think you have a great chance, you will definitely get off! take it before a judge and make sure to tell him you were speeding but point out the fact that ducati was spelt incorrectly. judges love picking up on cops mistakes and he will be more than happy to let you off, this is especially so in queensland as the judge will be interested in dismissing the case quickly so he can get to his game of cane-toad golf early!

good luck!

5. Pretty much what I thought. Just pay it and be done with it I guess! :(

6. I just did some searching on the internet and found that Queensland has a "double demerit point" policy in place since April this year. It effectively says if you get 2 speeding tickets for 20km or over within 12 months, your lisence is GONE!

Luckily, I had a full license, so an OK at the moment. But I'll need to be cautous over the next 12 months though!

Can anyone let me know how long to get you points back? It used to ne 2 points a year? I hope its more than that nowadays!
    http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/H...meritpoints.pdf/$file/Doubledemeritpoints.pdf