Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MREVOX, Aug 31, 2009.

1. I've been asked by someone who has had a fraud claim lodged against them with Centrelink to provide a letter saying that the claim is untrue.

Now, the information they told me about what they've been dobbed in for - I am fairly certain is untrue.

Here's the thing... I don't really want to get involved. I'm not privy to this person's life details, and while I have known them for a long time, they're not someone I've really had a lot to do with.

I'm all for the truth being told... but I just don't feel comfortable giving information (especially to a Government agency) when I am uncertain of all the details.

I am sure there are many different outcomes for this person depending on whether I do or do not say anything.

I feel like I'm in a sticky situation, because I am one of very few people that might have an idea about this... my parents would probably the best people to go to, but they're overseas until the end of the week and Centrelink apparently wants a letter before then.

What would you do in this situation?
  2. Go with your gut on this one!!. If you are not 100 % sure and don't feel comfortable....don't do it.

Unless you can positively prove that Centrelink is wrong, stay well away from it. If along the way, you are found to have provided an untrue statement, or provided untrue details... then you could well end up in the sh*t too.

Whatever decision you make, make sure that you are not coerced by this person.
  3. Don't they either have proof of fraud, or not?

I wouldn't do the letter, dude. Keep your name off their lists. You may need job or pension help someday.
    You're not close to this person which begs the question... why did they ask someone they aren't close to for character reference help with a fraud charge?
  4. It's not really a character reference, it's more of a "this did/didn't happen" kind of thing.
  5. tricky.

If it is a "this did/didn't happen" kind of thing, and you can be certain that said thing didn't happen, then I see nothing dodge with it - similar situation to a witness statement after a crash - dont know them from a bar of soap, but coppers just want a full picture.

however, if you have doubt in your mind and are being asked to substantiate something which you are not certain is the case, then I'd let it go, particularly if you don't really know the person. Might be more trouble than it is worth down the line.
  6. if you must write it, write it in a fashion that it causes them to question your capability of providing them with the info that they need ;)

eg, sorry but due to my shocking weed smoking habits, I'm unable to recall for certain.......etc etc ;)
  7. :LOL:

Sorry, I'm not up to date with "xxx"'s fiscal situation; I've just got out of five years in gaol for tax evasion. :LOL:
  8. To be honest, even if you did write the letter, I can't see how it would make any difference. Centrelink are more likely to rely on their own information than a letter from a friend of the person they are investigating. It seems strange that Centrelink would ask for one.

If I were in your position, I would just tell your friend the truth that you are not comfortable writing a letter, I'm sure they will understand.
  9. Don't do it, unless you are comfortable with it.
  10. I think you just answered your own question......
  11. Just reply back with the truth. Tell them exactly what you know and what you are uncertain about. There's nothing at all for you to worry about and you've done what you can.
  12. It's simple. Write what you know, not what you've been told you know. If you are comfortable writing something and you know it to be true, then do it. Under no circumstances write or document something that you are not sure of or you are guessing at.

No true friend would ask someone to write something that is a lie when it comes to these sorts of things.
  13. I was going to say more or less the same, but like this - ie. "I KNOW xxx to be true, and I BELIEVE xxx to be true." (or something of that nature). You need to differentiate between the two, for your own protection.
  14. I ended up writing the letter, but was sure to include the words "to the best of my knowledge"... just in case something has got past me somehow.
  15. I wouldn't stress. If you haven't lied, then you haven't knowingly submitted a false statement. Just make sure the story you wrote is exactly as you remembered it, if you get queried.