Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice wanted on upgrade from Honda CB250 to VT750 Shadow

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by JamesJoyce, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hi all,

I am thinking about trading in my my 6 month old CB250 for a new Honda Shadow. I expect to get about $3000 trade in for the CB, which means about an $8,000 changeover price .. does that sound about right ? Should I perhaps try to sell the CB privately and aim for a little over $4k ? It has 1200 km on it and has very little in the way of wear and tear. Would I be correct in assuming that it would sell easily ?

I test ride the Shadow tomorrow to check the ergonomics. What I am wondering is what are peoples opinions on that Shadow for commuting ? .. The CB250 is a brillant commuter (apart from being a bit boggy when it is cold). My commute, unfortunately, is only 3km each way. Apart from that even a ride into the shops is at best 5km each way. I do expect to get in some highway cruising roughly once a fortnight. The CB250 is one gear and about 5 hp short for comfortable highway work, which is the main reason for the upgrade.

I went for a day cruise on a Harley 1200 Sportser and a 250 Yamaha Virago over X'mas. The Virago won my vote, but after the having been so impressed with the reliability and engineering of the humble CB250 I would rather stick with a mid-size Honda.

Finally, my favourite part of riding the CB250 is cornering fairly quickly and getting a good lean into the corners. On the Virago I did drag my shoe a couple of times. Does any one have any comment about any limitations with trying to ride the Shadow in the same way ?