Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice sort

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by zmokin, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Hi Peeps,

Hi to all (this is my virgin post) Nice site

After some thoughts,

I have been riding dirt bikes for around 8 years now and consider myself a well balanced rider, I have a KTM 300 (05) and can use most of the throttle most of the time....

Im looking to cross to the dark side and get on board a road rocket.

I like the gixxer 750, and the 1000,

I wont be taking it down the track at all, which bike would you recommend.

Cheers and thanks in advance

Edit can an admin please move this to the correct forum.... soz
  2. Both are top bikes.

I personally like the 750 because it has more than enough power to scare the crap out of me, significantly cheaper, and I like ringing bikes to their redline (something that I wouldn't be able, or need to do on the thou).

Straightline speed, there's nothing in it. Lap times around a track, there's nothing in it. The 750 may have a slight edge in the handling department, whether you or I would notice this is subjective.

The major difference between the two is the increased amount of torque that the 1000 produces, meaning easier wheelies, and more power at hand for any given gear.

Best thing to do would be to take both for a testride. Seeing as you're pretty new to roadbikes though, both will be eyeopeners, and I doubt you could pick a big difference between the two on a loan bike test ride wher you won't be riding at warp speeds.
  3. The latest BIKE (UK) magazine has a test of the 750 and rates it very highly; essentially saying that unless you want eye-ball flattening speed, there's no real need to go to the 1,000...

Oh, and welcome to the site :grin:
  4. They are both fantastic bikes.

Most important thing first - have a sit on them (and everything else you can find) and see whats comfortable.

While people will tell you the gixxer 1000 is wheelie prone, this doesnt really apply to the later models. If you have been riding dirt bikes with very short gearing you will have learnt throttle control. The throttle on the 1000 is so smooth, the only way you will do a wheelie is if your trying to. I had numerous more unintentional wheelies on the rs250 (2 stroke).

Have fun and let us know how you get on :wink:
  5. Cheers

Thanks guys for the objective advice,

I will be test riding both on Sat and a R6 for good measure.

Ill let you know what the outcome is!

6. The Gixxer 750 was 2nd in Masterbike overall, but considering that the winner and the 3rd place getter are $30k bikes, I reckon the Gixa750 is the real mans choice. Not many of us can justify $30k on a bike.

I just got my GSXR600 and it ROCKS! You will find that even a 600 will blow your mind after a 300 dirt bike.

Went to Peter Stevens in Ringwod (VIC) And they basically wont let me test ride the 750 and the 1000, they dont have a demo bike and wont let me ride one unless I put half the cash on the table! What do you think tell them to go and jump