Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice required by an expert please

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Angelwings, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Hi I am Angelwings and I have just a short while before I go for my learners as I am wanting to feel the wind in wings, I need some advise.

I am a woman, and I need to know what the best move is regarding purchasing a bike obviously a 250cc and gear at reasonable prices, going to bike shops as a woman they see you coming, and I would rather they know I mean business.

I would love to hear from some of the experts in this field.
  2. If you don't feel confident that you know what you're doing, take an experienced rider/bike buyer with you to help.

Become knowlegeable yourself. Read this:

It is a great resource and will give you the basics in what to look for. It will also help you learn the correct terminoligy, giving the salesperson the impression that you may to some extent, know what you're doing. :)
  3. Showing up with your own gear (Not borrowing theirs) seems to let the dealers know that you are serious about buying.
  4. Female or male .. knowing you mean business is the best for anyone.

Advice .. just tell them. "I have the money/finance ready and am buying a bike today ... what can you tell me about xxx bike you have on the floor?"

Also, https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4379
  5. Thanks for your advice,

Should I do the girl thing or just hit them with the tech talk, What if I don't have gear, should I just show up naked, and have them dress me. :)

I read the article you suggested Seany that was great reading, I realise this stuff can suck you in, is there any bike, you could suggest better than another, I have my heart set on a Kawasaki, what is your advise on this. :idea:

Where in Melbourne is the best deal on these bikes :?: .
  6. Well with that comment alone i'll gladly come along with you and personally help you try on any gear you like till your hearts content :twisted:

Do you have any idea of what type of bike your looking for ? sports or cruiser ?
  7. You'd have to be a lot more specific than this. Do you want a cruiser, commuter or sportsbike? Will it be for mostly twisties or do you plan on longer rides touring the state? How tall/short are you? Any back problems etc...? How much do you want to spend?
  8. Do neither. Just walk in and say that you are ready to buy a bike, maybe a particular model if you have one in mind.
    If you just do the 'girl thing' you risk being brushed off and dismissed altogether.
    If you try and do the tech talk thing you will be found out quickly if your knowledge is subpar, then most likely you will be brushed off and dismissed as well! :p
    I say just be yourself and get straight to the point with the dealer. Say you want to buy such and such model bike for the best price possible. But use your time beforehand to find out which bike suits you best, don't try and decide while you are in the process of buying. Make your mind up first and then when you have made a decision, go out and buy it.
  9. 1. comeinto friday night coffee , chat with everyone , sit on the differant bikes , ask the owners questions have a coffee ( bring the partner or not ) chat with them about pro's and cons.

chat with some of the girls ( a few of them each friday) talk to them about where they go , they might even be able to give you a name , or contact which they see and looked after them.

(see rides and events section for details )

2. go to bike point or the other one (ads on the site here somewhere) and print out the ones your interested in.

3. take someone with you that can ride the bike for you and tell you how it feels. ( etc)
    (getting to know people at coffee will help with this).

one of the biggest things about coffee night is the knowledge that is there and the mixture of differant bikes , you can sit on them ask questions pick up info and have a coffee and meet the idiots that you will ride with in the future.
    also they are great people and they may be willing to come with you when you narrow it down to a bike .
  10. I am interested in a Road Bike/sport, my preference is a Kawasaki 250. I'm 5.4 in perfect health, fit and physcially active, no back problems.

Certainly I am not wanting to spend top $ at this point till I have a bit of riding under my belt. Then the story is different of course.

I have been reading a bit about the Kawasaki GPX250R. and the Ninja 250 what can you tell me about them.

I am happy to take on board any advice given by the experts.

11. The GPX will probably be the cheaper of the two. It's a twin cylinder and will prove to be better in the city because it has more useable power at low revs. It will also have a smoother power delivery and be more forgiving to ride. In the country it would be a better touring bike than the ZXR because of the more comfy seating position, and still manage to hold it's own in twisties but won't set a blistering pace.

The ZXR will be faster and turn quicker. Inline 4's tend to rev high before anything happens, then give you a sudden rush of power. They're not to quick for an L'plater but will ask you to be a bit more careful. Most of these tend to be grey imports so make sure you find out the build date rather than the complience date when buying.
    This thread may be worth a look. Explains grey imports and some tricks a store might play. https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13631&start=0

Also, don't overlook your 3rd option. The ZZR250 is sits somewhere in between the other 2 and is probably the best allrounder of the lot. Definately worth a look.

If you want to know about specific dealers, this forum will help.
    There's some great advice and feedback in there.

Also, for Kawasaki specific information, you may find this useful:

Edit: There is normally (well almost always actually) an example of each of these bikes at Sunday night coffee, so it would be worth comming along tonight to have a look at them.
  12. Thanks Seany

Great advice and have already started researching ZZR250.

I may see you at one of these coffee nights soon. :)
  13. make sure you ask before sitting on someone bike save problems later.............and welcome to the nut house
  14. As a woman who has just gone through the first bike and gear purchase, it can definately be a little daunting. I'm 5'5, but have stumpy legs, and am a larger girl, as is my partner. We are sharing a bike, and so to begin with we just went around to a heap of different dealers and sat on all types of bikes to see what we felt comfy on. We also made our decision based on what we want the bike for... more for commuting and cruising, so we got a cruiser.

Another issue is gear. If you a small petite lady, you should have no hassles, otherwise it can be a nightmare. All the womens motorbike clothing seems to be designed for stick figures... so we had to look at the means gear, which was often far too big in the shoulders and long in the arms. A lot of females have had issues getting boots that fit also. I just bought Rossi Senora (thanks to the advice from another netrider). Or again, if you have small feet, check out 1st class motorcycles in John St Lilydale... they have a heap of clearance model Fusport at $50 a pair.

Good luck finding a bike and outfit to suit you, it may take some effort, but it is DEFINATELY worth it!!!