Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice Req - Upright Riding Position 250cc

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Black306, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Hi all

Need I say me = noob?

Had my R-E / 250cc license (WA) for about 6 months, and have been lucky enough (depending on your point of view) to have been given a Honda V25/VT250 cruiser for this period by a friend to get around on.

Now, I'm not a cruiser kind of guy, and my friend wants his bike back soon so I will need to buy my own.

Today I rode a Kawasaki Balius and a ZZR250 - my first rides on any other motorbikes other than the VT250 and the bike I learned to ride on (CB250).

Now, I expected the CBR250 et al sports bikes to have a riding position that was very "lean-forward" in position, but not the Balius. I was surprised how much "lean forward" the Balius was - the guy at the shop likened it to a naked version of the ZX250, and as such shared its riding position.

I liked lots of aspects of the Balius (including the handling, 50% extra power, and 15% less weight than the VT250) but given I'm a big guy, the "lean forward" position placed a lot of stress on my arms - perhaps too much to bear long-term.

[The ZZR wasnt as bad from a riding position point of view, but the parallel twin seemed to lack both the top-end fizz of the Balius 4 cyl and the low-down torque of the V-Twin VT. I also looked at a Spada, but it was too small: as mentioned, I'm a heavy guy.]

So what road bikes in the 250cc capacity have a nice middle-of-the-road, upright riding position? Or is the Balius considered to have an upright riding position, and I need to recalibrate my expectations?

cheers

jt

2. definately should try the vtr250. Got the midrange and the thumping (small) v-twin. Good upright naked fun

3. New or used?

I guess that depends on whether or not you want/need/can afford a new bike or want a second-hand machine. I suspect you would have more choices of seating postion if you were looking at second-hand, but you are on the money considering seating position as a major factor in the purchase. It's amazing how many people who buy uncomfortable bikes would NEVER tolerate such discomfort in a car!

4. Re: New or used?

Probably because cars aren't as much fun, and being comfortable is the only compromise that keeps them in use! ;)

5. Not quite correct, I can't carry a 48KG colour laser printer on my bike! (or yet, Mrs Hornet!) :LOL:

6. VTR250 is the way to go, great little jigger.

7. Hi all

Thanks for the advice.

In a way, I think I knew that the VTR250 would be the common suggestion. I'm a big fan of the v-twin power characteristics, too (though I could be tempted by the fours).

The issue with the VTR250 for me is the price. First bike, wanna keep it cheap and I was looking at $4k tops. This is also another reason I was looking at the Spada - I was hoping it to just be an older version of the VTR250, but the frame is smaller.

Anyway, happy to hear any other suggestions...

jt

8. Change your stance when riding, more like it. The idea on a non-reclining bike is to let your upper body slump forward and compress your abs/bunch up your gut (depending on how you might be built) until they're carrying the weight. Do that, and there'll be_zero_weight on your wrists.

Furhter, when you're hunched over a bit like that, the shock of bumps and dips doesn't subject your spine to compressive stresses the way it might if you're sitting completely upright; all that happens is that the spine flexes back and forth a bit, with, again, the abdomen doing all the shock absorption. It's, anatomically, a less-fatiguing position.

Being less natural, it takes some getting used to, but it works.

9. If you're worried about an agressive riding position but like sports bikes, consider some handlebar risers - the inch or two higher make a real difference to your posture, but still keeps things fun.

10. Not sure which way you are a big guy. But i am possibly in your category as well. i am over 6ft and 100kg . I had a zzr250 and found it to be a very comfy bike to ride. I just looked at it like this, what 250 goes all that well? They are little engines and thats that. I was more into comfort when i was looking for my 250 and the zzr was the way to go. Good luck with your purchase.

11. Wow. No one has ever suggested this to me, but it seems like good advice.

When I was riding the Balius, I actually did what you suggested (as taking the weight on my arms was uncomfortable) but thought to myself "I dont have to do this now (on the VTR25), so why should I need to do this on this bike?". But maybe I should have kept it up...

Also, I do have a bit of a gut (5'10", 100kgs) so maybe this was a factor.

Yeah, I was surprised how supple the bike felt in comparison.

Maybe more time on non-cruiser bikes will get me used to this? When I first jumped on the VT250 i was amazed at how reclined the seating was, but of course after 6 months of daily riding this now feels natural.

When I jumped on the Balius, I was like "Where are the footpegs? Oh there they are, like a foot behind me!" Of course they werent, but in comparison to the VT250...

Thanks for the advice.

jt

12. Yeah, Ive seen these - will look into this some more.

Also - what about thicker handgrips? The VT250 has nice beefy, fat grips, whereas the bikes Ive tried (Balius, ZZR250) have these weedy items.

Can you get "fat grips"?

jt

13. Yeah, I also found it comfy, and more "upright" than the Balius at least.

Yeah fair enough for anyone who has ridden anything bigger, surely its all relative though.

The Balius, for me, was a total revalation. It was a good 15% lighter than my bike, has 50% more power according to the stats. For me, it went real well...

jt