Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Scornthorious, Jan 5, 2016.

1. I have been riding for over 15 years. I have owned a lot of bike. Started with a Suzuki Across. A Suzuki Katana. Several Honda 730 fours. 2 Yamaha triples. Now I have a Yamaha XJR1300 1300 while restoring 2 old Honda 500 fours.

Problem is I have moved to Sydney. My old riding buddies have moved state. I've lost the thrill. I love my XJR1300. But it's just not exciting anymore.

I want to upgrade. What would you guys recommend stepping up to from my aged Japanese Muscle bike to put some excitement into my rides. I have considered a HD. But a bit heavy. And a bit all noise no go unless I spend a heap on mods. I am still considering a Triumph Rocket 3. What do you guys think? Or can you suggest something a bit more fun? I like sports tourers, cruisers and the like. I can't ride small sports like the r6 as I had a back injury that prevents long periods of time hunched over.

please help with any suggestions. Anything is an option. I'd love a bit more power to weight.

Thanks guys...

2. Z1000?
    might be able to sell you one real soon :)
  3. Also a possibility. How old is it?
  4. MY Oct 2015
    2016 model
    Low kms
    Plenty of meat on tyres
    12 months rego.
    Mint condition
    Never dropped
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Just looked it up and has same power to weight stats as my XJR1300.
    I just looked up the stats. And although it's a lot more attractive than my XJR1300 it has almost the same power and weight stats. I am interested though. But am still only looking at options currently.
  6. If u think Harley's are all show and no go come and ride my night rod , 125hp stock, exhaust and chip , 140hp easy . Z1000 are awesome too
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Go a s1000r perhaps? Nine T?
  8. MY mistake. I just realised I seen HP not Kw. Ur 1000 is a much better option... why can't the world just all go metric.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. How much did it cost for the upgrade chip etc. I rode a few older Harleys that just seemed heavy and cumbersome. But in saying that, they were over 10 years old. Might have to take a test ride at Frasers.
  10. Just seen the R nine T. I haven't seen one before. Very nice looking bike. Especially the scrambler. It's now at top of my list. Thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. The S1000R (and unashamedly the RR!) are on my shortlist. 118 kW (160 hp) & 112 Nm of torque at 204 kg wet, giving a power-to-weight of ~570 kW/tonne for the R model.

EDIT: forgot, that's the published shaft power from BMWs spec sheet, which happens to be sitting on the coffee table...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Definitely. Much improved in the last 5 years.
  13. I went from a XJR to a Yamaha FZ1, now that's an upgade!!
  14. Mate go wander around some bike shops and see what visually makes your heart beat faster. Then test ride all of those, giving you time to sit back afterwards with a cold one and contemplate which one might bring your mumbo back!
  15. Stop OldmaidOldmaid, you're not selling Zeedee!!! ... Not until you try the boots anyway!!! :)
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Are you against adv/tourers? I have a back issue and I find the more upright position of my VStrom very comfortable and the 1000 has plenty of go, though it's no race machine. You could try the Tiger or KTM or if you have the cash, the BMW R 1200 GS.

EDIT: Plus the relatively easy option to take them off road might add the excitement you are looking for.
  17. MT-09 Tracer looks pretty sweet, apparently very torquey and loads of fun to ride
  18. The newer naked bikes are the go. Suzuki GSX S1000 looks good value. Or the BMW s1000r. Aprilia and KTM have nice bikes in this style.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Yamaha Vmax or Ducati Diavel?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Yeah, both of those would make a lot of sense... though both pricey.

They link with my suggestion, though: what about a KTM Superduke 1290? Or even a secondhand 990?

The reasoning is that they're a v-twin like a Harley, rather than an in-line 4 like a lot of the bikes you've had, but much more sporty in approach. Still naked, though, so not really a racer's hunch in terms of riding position.