Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice on purchasing new bike from a dealer

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Central Desert, Jan 28, 2016.

1. After many years of not owing a bike, I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a new bike from a dealer.
    I am comfortable negotiating a good price on cars but does the same apply to new bikes or is there no room on retail pricing? Do not want to come across as unreasonable but at the same time do not want to pay through the nose. Looking at a medium capacity Japanese Cruiser.

Appreciate any discreet advice
  2. There's plenty of new bike owners that have done abit of bargaining to get a discount. If they won't budge on the price maybe try and get them to throw in some gear
  3. It's true that dealers get smaller than you would expect margins on new vehicles (including bikes), which they try and make up for in Gear, Parts, Servicing, Finance, Insurance and Extended warranties.
    However the MRRP has dealer's sales margin for the dealer built in so if you are paying that then you are paying the maximum margin the Manufacturer thinks the dealer can make.
    Unfortunately it quire often comes down to supply and demand. If it's the only bike left of its type and class then the Dealer can charge what ever they want for it. If its a common model that has lots of competition you should be looking at trying to get at least 10-15% off the MRRP.
    If you are packaging with gear, watch very carefully what the dealer does with prices. For example, PS will quote everything at RRP even if they are currently having sales and apply the discount at the end. This makes it look like you are getting a big discount but will probably be the same as if you came in a bought everything separately.

My Advice is to know roughly what you want, it's RRP and best price advertised on line. You probably won't be able to get that best price but you should be able to get close if you are buying a few things together.
  4. Shop around, if you are set on a particular bike/model. get on the phone and ask the various dealers for their best price. After that visit your preferred dealer and tell them your best price they should be able to meet it. I did this and got couple hundred bucks off the dealers previous 'best price'.
  5. Cheers all for replies, thought margins may be less than cars as smaller market. I purchased a new car two years ago, waited until after Xmas and the end of the month, did my homework on dealer offers and ended up with a good price.
  6. As has already been stated, get prices from a few dealers then see if your preferred dealer will match the price. It also pays to buy towards the end of the year when dealers are trying to get rid of current year models to make room for the next year's models.
  7. #7 steve37, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Beware of previous year plated bikes being sold as new current models,
    you can use this to bargain hard on floor stock.
    Basically for example, if you bought a February 2015 plated bike now next week it would already be
    a year old ,doesn't realy appear to matter until you sell it.then it will.
    There is more to it than that but I think you will get the drift.

Ps .know a bloke who bought a new klx450 early 2014 he done 300 ks then tried to sell it 2015,
    He thought it was a year old but it was plated 04/2012
    Poor bloke got reemed on his price ( he he he he )