Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice on first ever weekend trip from Brissy

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by hutcho84, Aug 5, 2010.

1. G'day Folks,

So i've just signed up and I need some advice. I am planning a surprise weekend for my Dad where I'm hiring a couple of BMW 650GS's to do a weekend trip from Brisbane. The link below outlines my proposed route. We would be travelling anti-clockwise on the map.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&q=images&safe=strict&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

My Experience: I have my RE licence and am a confident trail bike rider. I have had very limited experience on the road however have been riding all types of powered and no powered bikes for years.

Dad's Experience: Dad had about 8 bikes throughout his life until he was 30 and decided to give them up for the family.

I'm not so much worried about Dad but was just after some advice as to whether or not you 'experienced' riders think I'm being too ambitious for the first trip. It will be a VERY sedate ride eg. no time constraints but i'd like to get the most out of the hire and get out of Brisbane a bit.

I plan to spend the night camping near Kilarney maybe...Any tips?

Also, can anyone shed any light as to whether or not any of these roads are dirt?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Nick

2. If you've not done much long diatance riding, you WILL be sore. It doesn't take much to get the blood flowing again, but you will want to stop fairly frequently. My first ride was an 800k trek. It took me 13 hours. I was ok for the first few hours, but by the end of the day I couldn't add more than 60k's to the clock without stopping to relieve the incredible discomfort I was feeling.

Don't get me wrong, all the discomfort in the world couldn't wipe the smile of my face, and there's nothing like hitting the frog and toad for a decent journey on your bike.

Just don't push yourselves, and if either of you are uncomfortable, jump off, have a drink of water, have a smoke, just chill and chat. It'll make the journey 100 times more fun if you're relaxed and not grimacing at every bump or jolt the road throws up to you.

3. G'day JuzzyDee,

Thanks for the advice, we definitely have no problems in stopping as we have to real time limits so I', hoping it goes to plan haha

Thanks for the advice