Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice on certain unsealed roads...

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by mattb, Aug 20, 2009.

1. G'day All.

Planning a couple of multi-day rides over the next few months, the first one being next month. I'm strongly tempted to include some unsealed roads in the route, sometimes for the sake of exploring certain places, and at other times to avoid riding the same road back. This will hopefully be done on the SR500, loaded up with camping gear, and hopefully kitted out a bit better for the dirt, with a crash bar and barkbusters (without the ugly plastic!) but with normal sealed-road tyres.

Any, looking for advice on the following roads; i.e. I'm happy to ride dirt if it is hard-packed, even if it involves a thin layer of loose stuff on top of hard-packed stuff, but am not happy on pure sand or ball-bearing style stony surfaces.

1) In Murray-Sunset National Park:
    a) from Nangari to Carwarp (the good thing about this rd is that it parrallels a sealed rd 5km north of it, as an exit strategy should it get too much)
    b) from Taplan heading east running parrallel and to the south of the above road
    c) from Cowangie north through the Park

2) On the way to Broken Hill:
    d) between Pooncarie and Menindee (rather than taking the Silver City Hwy both up and down)
    e) the road just north of Cavan which goes to Mungo

If you're familiar with any of these and can give advice, it'd be appreciated.

Matt

2. I haven't been on the exact roads you are taking about but have spent a fair amount of time wandering around the sunset country over the years.

You can expect to encounter quite a lot of loose sandy sections (like the beach) throught the area. If you manage to travel through following some rain it's quite negotiable on something like the SR, but the rain will also make the salt flats and clay sections really greasy.

As a kid I used to punt an old Honda 125 twin roadbike through most of that country without too many problems, but I also didn't mind dropping it on a regular basis.

From what you say here, I'd give it a miss if I where you. You could always take the bitumen across to Carwarp and then into Colignon and follow the river road through to Hattah or Robinvale if you are keen for some off the tar riding. It still has some sandy sections but is easily negotiable on a roady. (although the corrugations can be a pain)

3. Oh yeah, Springtime is definately the best time to travel through. Everythings greened up and not too hot. :cool: