Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice on buying new bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Mik84, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Hey everyone. Im looking to buy a new R6 in the next few weeks and was just curious about a few things... Thought some of you guys\gals here would be able to help me out a little.

1. Firstly do bikes come under the "new car" category with banks loans? Just trying to find out what kind of interest rates im looking at.

2. Im currently living in Sydney but will be buying the bike in vic because ive still got my licence and regos there. Does anyone have any reccomendations for good yamaha dealers in melbourne where i could get a good deal?

3. And lastly has anyone bought one lately(or something equivilent) and if so what kind of deal did you get? (if you dont mind sharing). Just wondering how much i can get off the rrp price.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. DON'T go to Peter Stevens if you want a good deal.

Grab the list of Yammy dealers off the yammy website and start calling them.
  3. Good choice of bike! Bought mine about 3 months ago.

Most banks will lump them in as vehicles, although some may get picky. But as long as they can put a mortgage over the bike, and you get it full comp insured, they are happy. Interest rates are around 10-11% for most bank personal loans, although there are cheaper out there if you look hard. Yammy finance is about 16%, but they will go to about 14% if you push them, so banks win hands down.

Sorry can't help with that one... although shop around and play dealers off each other to get the best price.

RRP price should be well over the price you pay to get the thing on the road with a few bits. Dealers love selling new bikes, so make them earn it and haggle, and be patient.

read this thread anyway: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5160

4. Hey Dude,

You cannot go wrong with an R6 I reckon. Excellent bikes. To answer your questions:

1. I am fairly sure a bike (new or second hand) requires and unsecured personal loan from a bank. This is somewhat of a higher interest rate than a personal loan for a new car (Less than three years). I have found you can get very good finance deals from credit unions as well, so it pays to do your homework first in this regard. Have the cash before you go shopping as this is a good advantage to have during arguments, I mean negotiations with dealers.

2. There is a good Yamaha dealer way down in Dandenong, but I can't think of the name (Geoff/Garry Taylor I think). Perhaps someone can confrm this.

3. As for deals, my brother recently bought last years run out model (No upside down forks and no radial brakes) for a several thousand dollar saving over the current model (In WA). There was also a runout model at the Dandenong yamaha dealer several days ago. Most mere mortal (99% of the riders here) would not be able to tell the difference between this year model and last years.

Happy shopping dude. They are an excellent bike.
  5. amen. :D
  6. thanks for the info so far guys. Ill have to get into the banks tomorrow or give them a call and see what they say. COuldnt find anything regarding that on their websites. Thanks again...
  7. I recently went thru my credit union to fund my first bike purchase. Secured personal loan at 10%.... Expect the loan to be maybe an extra $1000 on top of what you will be paying for your bike to cover set up fees, rev check charge and any personal insurance (death, disability, etc) that you take out.
  8. pppffftt when will YOU drop ya PETTY crusade just BECUASE YOU GOT SCREWED FOR BEING A KNOB or was that a NOOB.

I would go to P.S. and screw them down on the price. If they are hungry for your business they will be the lowest.

Just don't lett Matt232 bargain for you coz you too will get screwed and pay $4000 more.

Cheers 8)
  9. The NOOB was the right one Dazza (but cant seem to get knob out of my head either). If you go and buy a new bike thats just been released then you will pay big dollars but if you wait for a few months thats when you will save money . I wanted a bird but wasnt going to pay what they were asking . Waited a couple of months and hey , presto , dropped $4000 .
  10. Well i talked to a few banks today and it seems that for a bike i have to get a personal loan.

Also rang a few dealers in Melbourne, some were really helpful. I got a couple of quotes of 14.5k rideaway for the black special which is good for a start.

Just gotta see what deal i can get from the dealer in albury wodonga(where my family lives and where my current car\bike rego and license is)

If i can get them within a few hundred of the melb places ill just buy from there, saves a bit of stuffing around.

Just also wondering what the go with running in an engine is? From what ive read about engines in general it seems riding 300ks back to wodonga then 500 up to sydney all at constant speed on the highway wouldnt exactly be the ideal way to do it. Ive never owned a new vehicle so no idea.... Thanks again.
  11. If you livein NSW for more than a month (I think it is) you are required by law to transfer both your licence and your rego to the NSW residential address, no exceptions.
    I know plenty of guys don't, but if you are in an accident and someone is injured, your 3rd party insurance in invalid, and you'll bear all the costs yourself, plus, if you get pulled over on that shiny new cop-attracting beast, you will be fined for failure to transfer the rego and licence in compliance with NSW regulations.
  12. Correction, you can ride on an interstate licence for 3 months, after which time you must transfer to your NSW principal place of residence address.
    You must also carry your licence with you at all times. Failure to be able to produce your licence on demand is an offence carrying a fine.
  13. Thanks for the warning hornet600 but yeah i am aware of that. Been pulled over heaps of times here with me viccie licence and no questions asked. I mean you are allowed to travel interstate with you licence so theyre never gonna know.

In the event of an accident i was just visiting friends here... :wink:
  14. Dont Buy NEW......

Buy a near new, second hand bike. One that:
    - has been run in
    - costs about $3k less
    - is still under warranty
  15. Thanks for the advice but im willing to pay that little bit more so i can be 100% sure its been treated right from the start. Ive been wanting to own something brand spankers and i think this is my chance. Not sure whats gonna happen later on so why not i say....
  16. And anyways the only graphics i like of all the 600s is the Black special R6 and thyre aint too many around 2nd hand to choose from.
  17. OK, since you are determined to buy new:
    - Find the bike you want
    - Shop around to all dealers with this bike
    - Get best price and have them haggle against each other
    - This is a good time of year as you get great financial deals
    - See who will give you the most accessories/stuff
    - Haggle a couple of free services into the deal
    - Be patient and dont go buying the first one

And then, go home, put it in the lounge and do naughty things to yourself while watching it.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  18. For the loan side of things - 12.1% was mine, with the CBA. $150 setup, no exit fees, no extra charges of any kind, that I came across. It was for 5 years, but paid off in about 8 months. Always better to get any sort of loan paid off sooner rather than later, IMO! (Unless you're investing in property...)

That said, my next deal will be with a credit union or similiar. I have a financial adviser I can use who thinks I could get around 7-8% in a loan. Will need to check the details tho. Just make sure there's no early exit fees, and you can pay as much as you like, when you like. Being 'trapped' into an interest scheme sucks, if you ask me.
  19. Real sound advice that !!!
  20. I agree with Skuffy about near-new second hand, but I'm green with envy that you can get new, and I say, the hell with commonsense, get the new bike!!!