Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice on Best Route [Tasmania] 7 days

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by FormerUser3, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Heading over to Tasmania in February and just wanting some advice on how to spend 5 days of riding. Once I get the towns etc for each day I plan to route them in Mapsource and then I will put something up here.

Day 1 Arrive Devonport PM & Accomodation
    Day 2 Leave Devonport (Day of riding)
    Day 3 Leave Devonport (Day of riding), arrive Hobart PM
    Day 4 Leave Hobart (Day of riding), return to Hobart
    Day 5 Rest Day on the town (All the gay bars :LOL: )
    Day 6 Leave Hobart (Day of riding), return to Hobart
    Day 7 Leave Hobart (Day of riding), return to Devonport PM

Basically spending 2 nights based in Devonport, then 4 or 5 nights based in Hobart.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Just avoid the main Hwy that goes thru the middle down to Hobart, Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring! Go the East Coast if the fires are all out, did it in the car in Sept and it was fun even in the car :grin:
  3. Well, when you make it south to Hobart...we'll take you out riding in some fav. local spots...then we'll take you drinking in the evening..cool! :grin:
    PM me the dates, and I'll rustle up the gang! We can even arrange Matt from Joes Garage to take you riding...he doesn't work during the day. :grin: :grin:
  4. Well I do know this girl in Hobart.............oh wait you said route.
    Never mind then :-# :LOL:.
  5. Anywhere. Just anywhere.
  6. Sounds good, rustle up the gang, we are on our way!
  7. <<------does a bit of a jig.........

\0/ I get to see Fleur :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
  8. That looks a bit like Loz, this is the real thing \o/ :p :LOL:
  9. Good rides

Some good rides in Tassie - from the north: the Poatina
    Rd from Longford - Bothwell; Launceston - Scottsdale - St Helens and down the East Coast (the detour through St Marys - St Mary's Pass and Elephant Pass - is excellent); the Lake Leake Rd from Campbell Town is a shorter alternative. In the south from Hobart: Richmond via Grasstree Hill; the Channel Hwy through Taroona - Snug - Woodbridge - Gordon - Cygnet - Huonville - Longley - Fern tree - back to Hobart; Strathgordon (the Gordon Dam) and return for a long day trip; or New Norfolk - Hamilton - Bothwell - and to avoid most of the Highway return through Richmond via the Mud Walls (B31); and lastly Port Arthur - Nubeena. Hope this helps :wink:
  10. Cool i hope you have finished before the 19th of january as me and kazz are of to tassy then :grin:
  11. THIS DOCUMENT is your friend

Read it, then wish you had another 14 days to ride in Tas :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

A bit of warning tho, a lot of the roads are full of gravel, and have fairly poor surfaces, esp the "best known" like Poatina up to the lakes, and the "Sideling" from Launceston to Scottsdale. The best road surfaces are around the north west, in behind Devonport and further west.

You'll love it tho, esp on your new orgy-go-magic bike :cool:

12. What dates are you guys planning to be there?

We sail over Feb 9th - return Feb 24th

You can either avoid us at all costs :p or try & catch up along the way :grin:
  13. 17th - 24th Feb, catching up sounds like a good plan, might soon be a state owned by netriders.

Thats a well put together document...thanks heaps...didn't realise that was there :eek:
  14. I also like the road from Strahan (can be a bit wet) to Derwent Bridge (hill of 99 bends) :cool: and then on to Hobart.
    Matt from Joe's Garage lead us on the Southern Loop from Hobart and I found the road to the Tahune Airwalk was awesome.
  15. Pity - you guys miss out on the big birthdays bash in Hobart on the night of the 16th!

We'll be in & around Hobart until 21st, then onto Launceston via the East Coast before Devonport.

I have my supply of NetRider cards to distribute as I see fit :wink:
  16. Hey everyone,

I'm actually planning on a tour of Tasmania in February as well! I have the month off from work, and was still deciding when to head over. The current plan was for 8 or 9 days in total.

The other complicating factor is l turn 28 on the 16th of February, and l know a few people would like me to be home at around this time.

Hopefully we can meet up at least once, it would be good to meet a few Netriders in person.

Take care guys and gals.

17. Get off the ferry and go clockwise or anti clockwise,thats what I did,worked fine.If you get wet,youve reached the edge :grin:
  18. +2 The road from Strahan to Queenstown is just freaking awesome. My favourite ride so far. and from Queenstown up the 99 bends is spectacular. Weird scenery and awesome corners. Its all an easy day ride from Hobart. Make sure the weather is reasonable though I imagine it'd be pretty miserable if you get caught in some of that treacherous west coast weather.