Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice needed on new bike (yamaha r1 2007), power concen...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by goofyOz, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hey all...

I have a little problem that I need some help with. I'm looking at purchasing a new yamaha R1 2007 model in a month or so and I wanted to do some serious research on it.

My biggest concern is the power. I've never ridden anything over 400cc before and I've heard SO many stories that this bike is like a bull at a gate with power. I'm definately not a speed freak and the reason for this bike is mainly the look and feel (physically when I sit on it), and the fact that I dream about it 24/7.

My main use for the bike would be riding to work (about 30km each way) and quite a lot of riding during the weekend through the country.

I really need honest answers here and if you think this is a stupid purchase because of the power then tell me so, I just need to know what others think.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm looking at hiring a Honda CBR1100 from Garners in Melbourne to see what a litre bike feels like. And of course I'll ride it so carfully.
  2. For a rough idea of what you are getting into compared to the other litre bikes go and find a copy of the AMCN Masterbikes edition. It's not this edition, but the previous one. In the briefest summary, not for inexperienced riders, a race bike with lights. Great bike though.

Oh, one thing, the CB1100 has no relation whatsoever to a litre-class superbike. It's like a V8 commodore compared to a Ferrari.
  3. Your projected riding patterns DON'T match the bike you want to buy. Jake hit it dead in the middle; the R1 is a race bike with lights. And you want to commute on it. It's like buying a Formula One car to drive to work; yes, it will do it, but it's not what it was DESIGNED to do...

I think you need to:

1. Modify your dreams

2. Change your job to professional road-racer, or

3. Seriously match your projected purchase to your projected riding patterns.

Plus jumping straight off a 400cc bike to an R1 will have the insurance companies licking their lips; on the subject of which, have you checked out what full-comp insurance is on an R1??

{I strongly suspect that the REAL reason for this post is to tell us you CAN buy a 2007 R1; to which I say, fantastic, and good luck to you, but I also stick by all of the above :wink:}.
  4. Mate have you ridden any of the other litre bikes?
    You have picked the hardest one of the lot to ride unless its humping along.
    Most say the GSXR1000 is easier to ride.
    The masterbike shoot out had a track and a road review of the 4 jap bikes (5th was GSXR750) and is well worth a read.

Jumping from a 400 to an R1 you'll be using 15% of its capability doing the riding you're proposing. There are plenty of other bikes that you wont go close to fully using but you should have more fun on them.

Have a think about a 600 supersport. At the end of the day its up to you but I'd prefer to have fun on my bike not sh!t myself every time I get on and anyone can ride fast in a straight line. :grin:
  5. Just want to add that I am sure riding a cbr1100 won't give you the same feel as an R1 and the other sporty litres. It's more like a 400-500cc sporty bike (if that) :)
  6. Oh dear,

I have the 07 R1, and it is pretty tame down low in the RPM range. I ride it to work a cpl of days a week and it handles fine. All the power on the bike is in the 7000+RPM range, below that it definately has pull, but not like a deamon!

As long as you take time to adjust to the bikes handling you should be fine.

Secret to riding in the city, is to kick the gears up to third once off the lights and ride it like an automatic :LOL: use plently of clutch control and it cruises like a baby.

As long as you have a backpack, or fit a ventura one on the back, there's not much room for luggage :grin:

The other thing is heat! It summer it toasts your legs when the fans kick in at the lights :p

If you want more info on the bike let me know!
  7. Okay GoofyOz, now that we have the sage and learned advise given from my comrades, I throw my 2 cents in and say if you want an R1, and can afford and R1, go and bloody buy and R1.

It will be totally awesome.
    It will scare the bejesus out of you (This is a GOOD thing).
    It will look totally awesome and get you more attention from the opposite sex.

Don't worry about trying all the different 1 litre bike, they are all so stupidly good, you may as well pick the one you like the look of.

In the end a motorbike is just 2 wheels and an engine. Tell us how you go on the test rides.
  8. Go get it, then ride it like a Nanna and take it to chapel street. This is the natural habitat of the poorly ridden R1.
  9. For a commute I personally would recommend a v-twin over an in-line 4, just for the flatter power/torque curve, but it's your call of course.
  10. And by the way, another negative is the insurance. Expect to get hit for ~$2k per annum +/- cpl of hundred depending on age / experience etc.

Advise, bikes are to be enjoyed. If it suits your riding style and you can afford it, go for it, you can always step up you skills and use the bike more and more as time goes on.

The new R1 is a great machine, easy to ride and handles superb. Others. For others, if haven't owned one, no comment! :p
  11. Thanks a heap guys for the above comments, I really appreciate it...

Maybe I am jumping the gun a little in choosing this bike, the problem I just like it so much and I'm quite a big guy (110kg roughly).

As for insurance, I've already got a quote from QBE and it's not to bad at $1,300 per year full comp (i'm over 30).

As I said, my main concern is power and basically that I'll get the bike, scare myself so much that I'll want to sell it the first chance I get.

Is there any other bike on the market which might come close to the same amount of power as the R1? Reason is, you can't test ride the R1 and I really want to test ride something with simular power.
  12. Don't the big 4 litre bikes put out roughly same power/feel? I.e gsxr 1000, cbr1000rr, kx10r ?
  13. Go for it I say.

There's so much shit around scaring people about the "power" of litre bikes, and most of it is pure vacuous drivel.

All of the litre bikes are perfectly ridable when just tooling around about town. In some ways they are even better than other bikes for commuting because they have so much torque in the mid-range that you can just stick them in 1 gear (3 or 4th) and forget about changing gears again until you come to a stop.

The R1's are actually fairly comfortable bikes, once you get "bike fit" with them. Yes, they do put some weight on the wrists, but unless you have a serious medical condition this isn't anything that's a problem as your muscles will just adapt. It may take a couple of months to reach that point, but your body will adapt.

As for the power, that's wholly within your control. All of the litre bikes accelerate hard even at quarter throttle openings, but it's only about as hard as a family car with a big engine. The chassis and suspension handles the power and acceleration so gracefully that for the most part you'll never notice how hard you are accelerating. It just happens, and it's all under control.

Twist the throttle hard in a lower gear, and this is something that is almost always a deliberate act by the rider, it's not something that you'll do by "accident" unless you have zero muscle control, and the bike will accelerate SO hard that for the first few times you do it your brain will near explode with the sheer joy of it. Over time though it's a bit like a drug of dependence. Knocks your socks off the first few times you do it, but gradually you become accustomed to it without ever really realising it.

In short, if you want it. Buy it. The power is nothing to be scared of and especially true of the R1's, the bike is a total pussy-cat about town, and will have you wondering what all the fuss about power is about. That is, until you get to some empty lonely back-road and turn the throttle and have a religious experience.
  14. If you're attitude is right (and it sounds like it is), theres nothing wrong with going with your dream R1. Probably not the most practical choice but seriously, what does practically matter when it comes to passion?
  15. Just make sure it feels ok first. I'd say to the shop(s) who won't let you test ride, "No test ride, No buy.. And I WILL buy if I like it" (maybe show money if paying cash for whole or deposit)

*edit* And "feels ok" means, it feels ok to sit on, ride. As flux has said, you will adapt to riding position/weight on wrists but some bikes just feel damn well "wrong" for people, you'll know when you sit on and possibly test ride. Make sure you get a test ride... It's your money - your enjoyment that's "on the line" :)
  16. Buy it and post pics!

They do not have 'light switch' throttle or anything.

Personally I think a lot of our advice is useless until you actually go and ride one.
    I've ridden bikes before and whatever might be good or bad about them is irrelevent when I just find it uncomfortable and 'wrong' to ride.
  17. what bout an R6?
  18. To be honest, I'm not keen on the front or shape of the R6.

I know some people may think this is a silly reason for buying a bike, but I always say that you have to like what you ride otherwise there is no point.

If yamaha made a R1 with the R6 engine, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  19. If you have to ask then the answer is probably no.
    That said, the K7 GSXR is no less friendly than my Firestorm. Just more likely to test your licence. Those litre bikes are incredibly easy to ride and the power is very progressive.

My personal opinion is that you should spend some time on a 600 or 1000 vtwin just to get used to a heavier bike and the extra power. I did exactly this and have not regretted it. Had I jumped straight to an litre bike, even with 10+ years of off road experience, I would have faced a much steeper learning curve.

This is the factor in my mind as to why beginner and intermediate riders shouldn't jump straight to a litre bike. Sure you can ride it and you probably won't crash it if you can exercise some restraint. But you WILL take longer to improve your skills than you would have on a bike with more moderate power. To serious riders this is the most important part, improving your skill.
    If pulling chicks or looking good is your aim, then you're not a real rider. Just another rice boy in my mind. Though I love that some tools do this because it ensures plenty of barely used litre bikes in the second hand market :)
  20. You make a really good point and I fully agree, I do though want to point out that I'm not interested in pulling chicks or being a pretty boy. I do however care that when spending $18K on a bike (which I can afford) that I enjoy the look as well as the feel.

I think many of you make really good points and I think what might be a good idea is to test ride a few litre bikes (knowing full well that they are not the same as a R1), but at least getting the feel for what a litre bike might feel like.