Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

advice needed Melb->Syd tour

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by simon varley, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Unfortunately not on the bike. We have some friends driving down from Brisbane to Sydney and want to take the opportunity to meet up. Rather than fly in and out we'd like to try and see some of the country in between. It's a family trip so we are thinking of hiring a campervan for a week and taking 3 or 4 days to drive up, spending a couple of days in Sydney, and then blasting back home direct on the highway. I don't know if this will work, especially as it's over Bathurst weekend and all the prices jump up!

So, I guess what I'm after is suggestions for a 3-day Melbourne to Sydney road trip with the family (girls are 4 and 6 years old). I was thinking of Gippsland-lakes entrance-merimbula and along the coast. Any thoughts on places to visit (or avoid) and campsite recommendations?

thanks in advance

2. Anywhere between Eden and Kiama is worth stopping at. Personally I would say Jervis Bay/Greenpatch or Mollymook but I'm biased.

3. Go the coast all the way, beautiful country all the way. Check out Boydtown, near Eden, not much there but pretty interesting story.

Check out the Killer Whale museum at Eden, the point at Merimbula (unsure of exact name, it is the north arm of the entrance to the lakes), also the jetty at Tathra has a bit of history.

Plenty to keep the kids busy all the way north from there.

4. Lakes Entrance is nice, there is mini-golf etc.. there.

Bega Cheese Factory in Bega....... They used to have a tourist thing in Bodalla but been a while since I've been up there, don't think its still open.

Batemans Bay there is some excellent river cruises to be enjoyed, and plenty of excellent fresh Fish and Chip shops too.

Hope you Enjoy the Trip, Its a terrific part of the country.