Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice needed for bike inspection

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jez79, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Need some advice.. Going to look at a 93 CBR600F tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone knew any specifics I should be looking out for on this particular model of bike. I have done searches through the pages and found some great articles on pre purchase inspections and I'm pretty good at spotting most things but am a little unsure about how to check if the engine is healthy on an inline 4.. Maybe there are some simple tests to perform on site?

Any advice appreciated..

2. Make sure engine is cold before they start it. How much smoke and what colour is it.

Pull spark plugs and check them, compression test, have a look at the oil and service records.

Use centre stand and check steering, front and rear bearings

Or I'd do what this guy did.....

3. Check disc thickness with calipers, visual is no good min thickness should be stamped on them, check rubbers from air cleaner to carbs are soft, ask owner what oil he has been running and if he does own services he should know off hand how much it takes if he does it regularly enough.

ask when air cleaner was last replaced.
    take a torch and a towel get on your knees and look up under everything, check front sprocket, brake pads look for oil around calipers and blown back from previous leaky fork seals.
    take radiator cap off check level and colour ask about last coolant change and what was used to fill, some cheap car coolants are next to useless and if they have silcone abrasives can wreck honda's
    ask when last time brake fluid flushed

Good luck
  4. Cheers guys! Appreciate the advice..