Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice in relation to safety and new rider

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by tjmc, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Hello everyone,

I was looking for some advice as I would really like to get a motorbike. For a few reasons.

1. Its cheaper to run and get me to work (in the city), including parking.
    2. My girlfriends dad and his mates have bikes and want me to get one so we can go for cruises etc...
    3. Iv always wanted one.

However, some people like my mum and a couple of others saying they are unsafe and i will have an accident etc...

However my first car was a worked V8 commdore (when i was 17), never had a crash, i now own a modified WRX STi, and still never had a crash. Im not saying that im the best driver in the world, however i am very safe and responsible and a good driver, and this would carry over with me if i was to have a motorbike, i have riden heaps of dirt bikes and stuff in the past.

However they say its not just me, its all the others on the road, which i know is true.

Can anyone give me some advice on this? or anyone else been in this situation?

Thanks
    T

2. I'd be happy to take the STi off your hands for a while if you'd like :LOL:

3. Hahaha, no way.... the STi is staying :grin:

4. Well i got my bike on the weekend and promptly had a low speed off.

my fault entirely but mainly due to inexperience.

that said i opnly have some bruising a due the the $$ i spent on safety gear.

Just take it genlty and don't rush into it.... ego can be a killer...... literally

5. However good a driver/rider you are, the vast majority of people crash. Some hurt themselves, some kill themselves, some mangle their bikes, some are luckier. You can mitigate the risks of riding, but only to a certain degree.

If you can deal with that fact, then strap on a dead cow and a bucket and get yer blat on!

6. Yeah i would definately get all the proper safety gear and im very responsible. Even though i know being responsible does not mean your not doing to crash, but if im not a speeding, weaving in and out of traffic d*ckhead, im sure that will help.

I just need an argument to take back to the negatives.

7. i crashed with no traffic around while doing a uturn on an inclined road.

atttitude is one thing.. lack of experience also causes other issues.

but guess who's now practicing u turns on inlined roads??

I spent about as much on my sfaty gear as i could afford.. about 1/2 the cost of my bike again. but im ok so i consider it well spent.... all the gear is fine too!

8. Get some private lessons, build experience and confidence, practice practice practice then there may be no argument. You will then know if its what you want to do or not.

9. TJMC,

My honest advice is to consider why you think you won't have an accident and what it is you will do to ensure you minimise the risk. There are a couple of reasons you can have an accident, those being due to some other person being at fault or through your own fault. Common accidents due to others are them merging on you, tailgating you, trying to race you, slamming on the brakes in front of you.

The types of self-induced accidents are going too fast, inexperience, ego, etc, etc.

You can directly control the latter, but for the former there is a saying in riding that if you are in an accident that is someone else's fault, it is still your fault.

You need to be constantly vigilant, honest about your limitations, and practice and even then there is one more thing you foerever need to do. And that is be one step ahead of every other person on the road - reading and predicting traffic, and leaving enough buffer space or options for any consideration.

And this statement is not to denigrate you or pick a fight, however a statement along the lines of weaving in and out of traffic does not denote a poor rider or an idiot. I am sure you will find that if you do end up riding you will lanesplit, however if you are cautious and know your limitations again this is an activity and benefit of riding, and although it may be a little more risky than sitting behind traffic, in some cases it could actually be safer.

I guess what I am saying is that riding is very different to driving, and although I have not raced bikes, I have raced cars and I have to tell you there it is a very different thing when you jump on the bike.

If you are certain you are want to ride, which it sounds like you are, the argument about safety and riding I would suggest is caution - if you can let those who are worried know that you will be cautious and they trust you in that statement then although they will worry, they will also understand.

Please don't take this post as a downer, but take it as something to consider before you ride a bike. But on another note - once you do ride a bike you will find there is nothing else like it.

10. Hi tjmc,
    Safe riding depends on what each individual defines its as.
    What would you call safe?
    The truth is out there but everyone has their own opinion or side of the story!
    Cage drivers don't see cages let alone bikes!
    Therefore you as a rider would have to compensate for other peoples F#ck UPS!
    Like anything confidence will grow as you become familiar with your bike but don't become too confident as it can get you into trouble and that will lead to your undoing!

Cheers

11. Thanks Wanderer, When i said about the weaving in and out of traffic part... i mean i see some real idiots on the road... going way over the limit and coming extremely close to hitting me... for which its completly there own doing... Bascially what im saying is im not a hoon in my car and i would not be one on a bike...

And of course i would probably doing lane splitting etc... but only when its safe to do so...

12. Then TJMC - welcome to the wonderful world of riding a bike!!!!

Basically just let those who know are worried that you will do your best to be safe - and prove it to them!!!

Another person who had a similar query some years ago was Voyager - search on the forums for some of the responses he got to a similar question and see if that helps too.

13. TJMC so long as you are realistic about it and realise that you are a lot more exposed on a motorbike and quite often situations are unavoidable, like a deisel spill etc. But as for excuse, well:

It is cheaper,
    I'll buy all the saftey gear and always wear it,
    A bike is more nimble and responsive so I will be able to get out of situations easier,
    Finally, I'll only die when God wants me to and not a minute before. (Well at least that's the one I used on my parents)

Also, TJMC, do you feel like putting your STi up against my Evo 8? :)

14. Have a look at the link in my sig.

You can never remove all the risks, but the rider has the biggest single influence on the risks.

Don't forget to have some fun though while climbing up the learning curve at a comfortable pace.

Cheers

Rob

15. TJMC

Visit the TAC Motorcycle Web site at www.spokes.com.au

Make sure you read all the Riders Hints and Tips section.

Get a copy of the Ride On video.

And what they say- by they I mean all non riders - is crap.

The only thing dangerous about a motorcycle is what is between the ears of the person riding it.

The other things on the road are easier to see from a motorcycle - its your attitude and how you go about making sure you stay out of trouble,which is the most important issue.

Good luck - and welcome to the family..... :grin:

16. if you have confidence that you can ride a bike 'safely' then you will be 'safe from yourself'.

but just like driving a car, or any thing for that matter.. you cant guarentee the safty of other people on the road.

17. Sorry jdkarmch I'm going to have to side with Dante on this one. It's not all about you and your approach to saftey, I mean what about a drunk driver who runs a red and collects a ride as they are going through the intersection, all legal and safe. There are a bunch of idiots on the road. You can try and reduce the risk but you can't take it away. But then again that is the same for anything.

I think that Nicole Kidman said it best on Days of Thunder "control is an illusion".

18. LPCIII - I didn't think johns post pushed in any particular direction - he's right if you look at the resources he has quoted you will get a better appreciation of what to expect - including being more vulnerable to the actions of others, and what you can do to minimise the exposure.

19. True, but it just seems that there was an absence to the external, surely you can become more aware and I agree that, particularly on a motorbike, you are your own worst enemy. However, the idea that the excuses non-riders give are usually legit, cos you are out in the open with no safety cage.

Having said that if a motorbike crashes into and Excel (tissue box on wheels) I have a feeling that the Excel would come off worse. :)

20. Plan to invest in Rider Training schooldays as well. Cornering schools, braking schools and knee down schools all will help with training beyond the basics required for licensing and will all aid in you staying on the bike (maybe don't mention 'knee down' to the negatives....might not go down so well! :wink: )

I have dropped bikes many times, but have never come off on the road....I also have never had a car accident and invested in driving and rider training when younger. They won't always stop an incident, but they may....

My last tip is to have your mum get her learners with you...worked for me!