Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

advice from camera gurus needed

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by peter-reebok, Sep 20, 2008.

1. looking to update the box brownie.
    Looking at a Canon G9, or Ixus 860is.

I take snaps - not artistic photos - I keep memories that prompt me of where I have been, and things that happened in my life. Booked on a trip to the Himalayas next year, do 1-2 bigger bike trips a year - need to take some more photos to share.

BUT, a better camera will always take a better photo?
    I need a camera small enough so I take it with me all the time, not just leave it in the cupboard because it is too big/complicated/expensive.
    Foir this reason, I have disregarded the entry level DLSRs.

I have $1000 to spend.
    All advice considered!
  2. i have the same thoughts are you peter. i had my compact stolen, and looking to replace mine. was interested in DSLR simply because everyshot reguardless of light is in focus. found my previous compact would struggle in low light to get focused shots without the flash on.

The other day however i did see someone with a compact taking photos in a pub, and the results were pretty desent. I'll try and find out what their weapon of choice was. looking forward to the results of this thread...

i do beleive however there is another thread on cameras from memorys...
  3. Guys there was a thread about cameras not long ago by MJT.
    Search his profile and you'll find the link.
  4. They're both pretty good cameras & also both reviewed at DPReview. The board won't let me post links, so you'll have to find the reviews yourself, sorry. I would go for the G9 myself but it is a little larger than an IXUS. If the size is OK you might also want to check out some of the new high end PowerShot A series. I haven't seen any reviews of them yet but they seem like they should be good jiggers also.
  5. I just checked the Canon website. These cameras appear to be out of production. There is a G10, however.

As Smee suggested, do a search for "camera good for motorsport" that I authored. And check out what I eventually got. It's an excellent camera, and the more I'm finding out about it the more I'm impressed with it.

It's a Sony.
  6. If you stick to any of the better models from Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony you shouldn't go too far wrong. All are pretty good quality. Find one with the features you want and size and price you like. Look for an optical zoom over digital though and one that comes with a rechargeable battery. With the budget you have you should get a great compact camera.