Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice for turning off a main road - Now with diagrams

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Captain115, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Hey everyone,

So I've been taking this same route to my work four or so days a week and have been feeling quite uncomfortable about turning into the driveway on my work as I have to slow down before the turn, while heaps of cars are still tailgating me.

Part of the route can be see here in google maps: https://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=Moggill+Rd%2FState+Route+33&daddr=Coonan+St%2FState+Route+20&hl=en&ll=-27.498222,152.976723&spn=0.002091,0.004128&sll=-27.498491,152.976522&sspn=0.002091,0.004128&geocode=FUtxXP4dgjgeCQ%3BFbxnXP4dmDkeCQ&t=h&gl=au&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=19&z=19

And I have also attached a wonderfully drawn diagram. So I am obviously the red circle labelled B. One of my first problems is the side road, Keating St, on my left just before my work. If I signal too early for my turn into work (just after Keating St) cars assume that I am turning down Keating St (even though I am not in the turning lane) and so will pull out infront of me, such as Car 2.

So I indicate later, usually when I'm about to cross in front of Car 2, as it is obvious I don't mean to turn down Keating as I've already passed it. However any cars behind me, eg Car 3, don't have as much time to react when I start to slow down. Which brings me to my second problem, speed. This is a main road with a 60kmph speed limit and believe me that every car does at least this. Most of them are often quite close behind me and when I have to slow down quite a lot to enter the 90degree angled entrance to my work. This means the cars end up really close behind me and I can tell that one day someone won't be watching and I'll get rear-ended.

If I slow down earlier, which is what I'd prefer to do, car's who are waiting to turn suddenly decided that they'll be able to fit so off they go, turning in front of me (see Car1, Car 2). I've had to do some very quick stops when people have decided they suddenly have right of way. Again, this is not ideal as Car 3 is right up my arse and they sure as shit haven't been watching the traffic movements like I have.

Final problem is the entry to work. As I mentioned, it has lip on the driveway and so I prefer to cross it fairly upright and slow. When i begin to slow down with my indicator on for the turn, I am in the left-hand wheel track and this seems to be a red-flag to the bull which is Car 3, who more often than not tries to squeeze past me whilst I make the turn. Sure they are a couple of feet away, but since they're often travelling at 50kmph+ it makes it a bit dodgy. Plus the traffic island means they have to stay in the same lane.

My current method is to indicate as I go past Car 2, and begin progressive braking by flicking the stop light on and off, hopefully preparing the car behind me that it'll need to slow down. Not sure about the road positioning though.

So please, I'd welcome all advice from "take a different route" to "how is this even a problem". Thanks in advance.

2. Use the width of your lane. As you approach the driveway and brake move to your right positioning yourself in front of the driver seat of 3. This helps him see you for 2 reasons. Obviously you're directly in front of him now, but more importantly it creates contrast with your background.

Then as an added bonus of this being wider out you can take the turn into your driveway slightly faster and get out of there quicker.
  3. What about turning from further out towards the right hand wheel track. The whole lane is yours. Would that enable a quicker turn into the driveway and keep you more in the sight of the cages behind?

Think therefore I agree smileedude \\:D/
  4. Dress like this:

Attached Files:

5. Own the lane & turn from the right wheel track.
  6. And good on you for asking.

IMO good lane positioning (buffering) is the single most important thing you can do to prevent getting hit. And it is not always that basic.
  7. I know exactly where that is, as I live around the corner.

Comments on lane positioning sound good, ie right lane track. But I can understand why you are going to the left wheel track so as to avoid any rear enders. A tip that I received on the weekend with my mentor (that was so cool I must admit) was to be more ascertive with my road positioning. Left track or right track - make a decision and own that lane. So this is something that I need to work on also.

Option 2, if I remember correctly, doesn't this car park have a second entrance closer to Macca's? Or is that an exit only? That would be a better option.

Option 3, turn left at Macca's and go around the block and turn left off KEating and left onto Moggil...
  8. It really is about what's happening at the time.
    1. The best outcome there is you don't have to stop. As in there is no oncoming traffic.
    For that then gear down and really hit that 90 degree corner hard and fast. Right wheel track all the way. And hard over right wheel track in K street. Leave room for you and a car.
    Your hard banked. Stay that way. If they come in their is room. Ay worst you bump them because you both doing around the same speed. It's the difference in speed that hurts. And you can still save a bump. Don't ever give up. A sudden stop is just that and not savable, it's over rover.

If there is traffic and you have to stop.
    This is one case I wouldn't own my lane.
    I would use that medium strip behind you. And get as close to the middle as you can. Owning it is one thing. Playing chicken with a minimum of 1.5 ton.... There is a time and a place and this is a place for discretion....not valour
    Stop right in front of the tosser coming out of K street. His problems are not yours and it's his bad luck.

For mine your biggest danger there is another person turning left into K street. Stay hard over and make room.
  9. If you indicate left as you approach Keating street, but from the right wheel track, do people still assume you are turning down Keating street? My approach would be as others have mentioned, ride in the right wheel track, indicate just before you begin to cross the Keating street intersection and begin to brake simultaneously. Holding your position in the right lane until you are ready to turn into work, and make the left turn with a moderate amount of speed, whatever is viable given the lip on the driveway. You can't really make yourself much more visible.

If you find you're still having issues all you can do is begin braking before Keating street, but not indicate until past the point of no return if you were turning, to slow traffic on approach.
  10. I know the place you mean. I, like the others suggested, would stay in the right-wheel track and not use my indicator. Using the indicator is just asking for someone coming from the opposite direction to turn across your path in this case.

Just brake over a larger distance than normal while staying right then put your indicator on at the last second and pull in.

And be glad that it's not your driveway in that location that you need to reverse out of in the morning!
  11. footpath entrance dead on, just above car 2.
    no need to slow down. just flick her in.
  12. Sooner or later, there comes a time where you just have to make a RH/LH turn in busy traffic like the other thousands of riders do each day, without getting creamed.
    You worry to much. That doesn't mean you should be blasé about it. Just use your common sense, check your mirrors and sometimes I'll extend my arm and point emphatically, so they know I'm watching them.
  13. Ha...Ooooooooooops.
    I afrked up didn't I ???
    Thought you were #1. turning right.
    In all fairness the sales staff stole all my magnetic bikes. So the bike was always car #1
    Qride theory ??? sorry are you with me... keep up!
    And because it is the only worry there that I can see.
    Being on the road on a bike is worry
  14. I would approach cars 1 & 2 probably closer to car 1 (ie, RH wheel track or slightly left of) giving you the most time to avoid an incident with car 2, which would be my most immediate threat. If either car violates your ROW, you can very easily bang a left turn & avoid any incident & you'd be suprised how quick you can do that. Make sure the turning lane is clear as you approach.

Other factors: I wouldn't indicate until I was level with or slightly past car 2, so you don't give any false signals to the other drivers, brake decisively (no on/off) from the RH wheel track & turn in at a speed you're comfortable with, car 3 will just have to wait like they would with any other vehicle.

You have a right to use as much of the road as any car, but if you're indecisive they will take any & every liberty to slip past.
  15. Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies, I've read through them all and the main point is that I should change to riding in the RH wheeltrack and indicate/brake after the Keating St intersection. Some of the points raised where interesting in that I didn't even think of them, such as the contrasting against the background comment.

16. Your overthinking stuff mate, key tips for turning off fast flowing roads and not getting rear ended:

1. indicate as early as possible, that means as soon as there are no other left turns before yours, or as soon as you can see your turning unless its really blind and you need to warn people who might not be aware that a turning is comming up.
    2. take a long time to slow down, apply just enough brake to light up your tail light as you coast down to your turning speed
    3. for a left turn, shift to the wheel track, this will allow you to turn faster with a better line, and also the motion of moving over will make you more visable in the crucial last few moments of the manoeuvres.

if your worried about cars hitting you, employ smidsy weave, combined with a lams bike, this will cause every car around you to give you a nice wide berth as they think your about to high side. And should prevent them from knocking into you.

Taking the corner at a decent pace is also helpful to everyone, your corning skills will improve as your confidence does, this will become less of an issue as your able to turn off with out slowing as much and risking that rear end chance.
    • Like Like x 1