Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice for First Bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by xGibb, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hi,

I've just gotten my learners and was looking at buying a used bike. The only problem is that I don't feel as though I'd have the skills to be able to drive the bike home on my own from the sellers house. I also don't know anyone else who rides who I could get to ride it home for me.

Is there any easy way of getting around this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

2. Come on Gibb! Get excited, it is your first bike, your first ride. You should be looking forward to that ride home like nothing else. You only get to ride your very first bike for the very first time once.

3. To get home I'd have to go down busy roads and along the highway. Not too sure if I'm confident enough for that just yet.

4. Trust me, we all thought the same thing before getting on a bike in traffic for the first time. A minute later we were all going "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!".

When I got my first bike I was shitting myself about the 5 minute ride home through light traffic. I hopped on, got to the end of the block and thought fcuk it. I turned around and went through heavy traffic over the Harbor Bridge and visited my folks to show it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Haha, thank you for the confidence boost :)

6. Firstly it is common courtesy to make yourself known in the welcome forums, a little about yourself and then to post about which bike etc in bike reviews. Also the search function can answer many of your questions as do the stickies

7. Hi Justus, thanks for the comment. I'd thought about that. And would definitely be worth a try. I think that given the distance some of the bikes I've been looking at are, that may not work, but I'll definitely ask if I find a bike I like closer to where I live.

8. Perhaps one of these nice NR mates could shadow you on your first solo. That might give you the confidence to get over the worst of the nerves

9. If you're in Sydney and not too far in the sticks I may come out for a ride with you if you want.

10. When I sold my old bike I dropped it off to the new learner as he had similar concerns. If you ask the question I am sure they would help you out as we all understand the dilemma.

11. I'm currently living on the north shore, near Lane Cove atm, not too sure if that is the sticks? Lol.

Thanks for the advice Aokman, I'd thought about that in the past but thought it'd be a long shot. Maybe it's more possible than I thought. Will definitely keep that in mind, thanks.

12. Wasn't your first ride a scooter? That doesn't count :p

13. Don't be pressured into riding the bike if you're not confident. Best off getting used to the bike in familiar territory. If you get stuck there are companies that will deliver a bike for you, I'm sure there are people on here that could recommend someone.

14. Thanks, doggyguinness :)

15. just buy one from Sydney City motorcycles

16. I plan to go there next week. I've heard some poor things about them, better things about Bikebiz in Granville. I'll go and check them out though. Also will be alot more expensive buying from a dealership.

17. Hush I was trying to give the guy confidence.

Anyway lane Cove is fine if I'm available and you don't buy a bike in Newcastle.

18. Confidence ruined now!

Cheers mate, I appreciate the offer. I'll let you know more if anything develops :)

19. Go and get it early on a dead Sunday morning when you have way less cars on the road, loop around a few blocks for a feel and then bring it home. Alternative would be to drive there, get the owner to follow you home, and then drive him back to his place.

I wouldn't ask me to help ya, I'd steal it :ninja:

20. My first ride on my first bike was from south coogee to port stevens, where I then met my parents who chucked it on a trailer for the next 600km or so home up the coast. I was so nervous, but a perfect day for a newbie. Faced a lot of challenge; riding in an unfamiliar city, heavy traffic, and a breakdown on the way! Definitely not a ride to miss, have faith in yourself!

• Like Like x 1