Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice for first bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Gurbachen, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Hi all, new member here, just got my L's last week or the week before (awesome memory!), and am currently torturing myself over my first bike. I'm not a big fan of sporty bikes so definitely looking at a cruiser. I'm about 180cm and 125kgs (obligatory 'it's all muscle!' claim here), so I dunno how the ride height is gonna influence things. Been pretty fixated on a Hyosung GV250 Aquila for a few months, but lately i've been unable to decide between that or the Yamaha V-Star 250. Both are gorgeous bikes, but the V-Star is at least a few hundred more. Just wanted to hear peoples recommendations on this matter. Just for reference, a couple of bikes i've been looking at (been to see one in person but didn't have my license at the time so no test ride or anything)

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...430 1429 1428 4294967188 4294960473&silo=1400

V-Star 250
    http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...430 1429 1428 4294967267 4294958430&silo=1400

or, with a better colour
    http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...430 1429 1428 4294967267 4294958430&silo=1400
  2. Congrats on the L's. IMO I would stay away from the GV250 for the unreliability I have heard they suffer from plus resale value. V-Star 250 would be my choice no questions asked. Good Luck, hope to see you out there.
  3. Oh I hadn't heard about any unreliability, I took a rider with me when I went to check it out and while she didn't test it and hadn't ridden one before, she said she had heard that they were really solid and reliable, but like I said she didn't have first-hand experience. Only thing is that V-Star is about a grand more
  4. The hyo cruisers are apparently much better than the "sports" varieties but I'd still stay away anyway. Other people haven't had a problem.

Personally I'd be going a 600 or 650 cruiser instead of a 250. The power isn't excessive and will not catch you out.
  5. Heathers got one, GV 250 Aquila, Good bike, no mechanical problems, I ride it and fix it if any thing goes wrong with it,
    Bought it with 5000 kays on it and she has since put on another 4000 Kays,
    She loves it,
    Nothing has gone wrong with it so far, She has dropped it about 6 times, Damage has been limited to a few scratches, nothing has broken, Including a 40 kay off the road into a ditch,

Every one shit cans this cruiser, So just ignore the clods that do, they dont ride one,

I got onto an international Hyosung bike site and asked for all the problems this bike has from people who had ridden one for at least 35,000 kays,

Before I bought her Hyosung 250 cruiser, 2009 model.

I was not going to buy her a piece of shit,

The only problem that they could come up with was,

The clutch cable was shit, It stretched, Put an after market one on and the problem is solved,

From the info I have obtained the sports models are, Iffy to say the least,

Enjoy your ride, what ever you get,
  6. For those voting against the GV250, would you still choose the V-Star considering the $1000 difference in prices?
  7. Or one of these bad boys ?

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...94960307 82&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=8&silo=1400

had one for 3 years. Awesome bike, and it's a bit bigger than the V-Star from memory ?? It's a little on the $$$ side, but they hold their value well.

Personally I'd go the V-Star as the Hyo build quality just doesn't do "it" for me. But on the other hand, you might be more comfortable on the Hyo. As a salesman once told a mate of mine " You don't want to look like a bear on a bicycle " :shock:
  8. My first bike was a Virago (now VStar) 250. I put 10,000 klms on it. Had no problems whatsoever during that time, it started first up every time, ran beautifully always. I rode it alongside my husband who has a large tourer and certainly did not lag behind him at any stage, bike has plenty of power for a 250 and is well worth paying the extra $$$. When you do upgrade, you will get a decent resale figure as well, they are a sought after bike.
  9. with your size (no offense) you might be more comfortable / go better on a VStar 650 (XVS650), or a Virago 535 (XV535). both LAMS approved without being restricted.
  10. YOU THINK I'M FAT!! :-({|=

nah jk, I would go for the 650 were it not for them being rather a lot more expensive and also in awful colour schemes necessitating a respray. I think i'm gonna get a cheaper 250 at least to learn on since i'm pretty certain to drop it or drive it off a mountain at some point, but thanks for the advice. I do still have to check them for the fit anyway, as I may be a bear already, but at least I can have a proportionate bearcycle. Could end up needin' a 650 anyway, but we'll see. Gonna go see this bike soon:

same bike but on ebay with a few extra details

but i've gotta sic my rider uncle on the owner/seller 'cause he thinks there might be some dodgy goings on. Seller says it's been serviced at Yamaha Ringwood but doesn't think there's any receipts, no extras, so we're gonna try to hammer them on the price. What would you pay for that?
  11. yeah if you want to safely plod around, at a comfortable speed. May have trouble keeping up with faster traffic though. I've heard the 250cc Cruisers are very limited. Don't take my word for it though. If your keen, organise a ride around the block and see what you think.
    It it was me, I'd find some way to register a CR500E and learn on that! Muahahaa
  12. I'd suggest throwing in a look at the Kawasaki Eliminator, it was the gutsiest and best looking of the 250cc cruisers i tried.
  13. i'd suggest a bike that can turn around corners instead
  14. true.

Def go the Cr500
  15. if you haven't sat on some of the naked bikes, I'd recommend it... though chances are you did your learners on something like a naked CB250?

Anyway I was in a similar position to you - had basically settled on getting the Yammy XVS-650 and I wound up buying a Suzuki GS500 which was an awesome first bike for me, and I'm similarly muscular to you ;)

Something else to think about...
  16. Ok i've been talked out of the 250s, apparently it won't have the muscle to really keep up, and now my uncle is trying to talk me into a Royal Enfield Bullet but I keep hearing two extremes of opinion on them (bulletproof vs. PoS) so i'm probably not gonna go with one of them. What do people think of Hyo GV650 (http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...4294962137&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=31&silo=1400) vs. Yamaha XVS650A (http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bik...94958433&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=86&silo=1400)? I know people here are furiously anti-Hyosung but considering the massive price difference, what do people think? Are Hyo's really that bad?
  17. not as bad as a Royal Enfield bullet, that's for sure
  18. keep em comming though haha
  19. you'd manage fine on any 2fiddy to 6fiddy naked bike. they all have low seats. they all target the female market and generally shorter statures, smaller ergonomics.
    a "dual-sport" or traily or super retard, not a ****ing hope, you won't even see over the seat standing next to it. you would need to carry a step ladder on the back everywhere.
    a cruiser, yes, but they are shit, because they are cruisers not motorcycles