Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice for a tall bugger

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by DClayman, May 11, 2007.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm undertaking a rider training course in the next few days, and hoping to purchase a learner legal (250) bike sometime soon. But here is my dilemma... I'm over 6'5" and 100kg. I kinda like naked bikes rather than racer types, but my concern is that there isn't much out there that I will fit on. Are my concerns justified? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be a good starting bike?

Many thanks,
    joel.

2. I'm a similar size and I rode a ZZR250 with not too many problems. Having my knees around my ears was OK as long as I didn't ride too far :LOL: The best thing is that you don't have to ride it for too long before you can get something bigger!

At I was told that a cruiser might suit my height a bit better, but i was never really into cruisers. It probably doesn't really matter what you get, your legs are bound to be a bit cramped regardless....

3. Which state are you in?

Regards, Andrew.

4. I'm in VIC. Wouldnt live in any other state, but the 250cc restriction is a bit of a hassle. Maybe if I bought a 500 and promised not to crash into anything?

5. Doesn't quite work like that in the eyes of the law.

Quick answer to every bike query:
    VTR250.

Comfy, mostly upright with slight sport, torquey v twin (as far as a 250 can go).

In reality your weight is not an issue, I'm 105kg and i found a gpx250 to be quite zippy enough to learn on and I'm almost definately sure a vtr250 will be a touch zippier.

6. The vtr is pretty small though, you would be better off trying a honda hornet or a suzuki bandit. The hyosungs are also pretty big so maybe try one of them.

7. I recon Vic is the smartest STATE , 250 is the good size bike to learn on .

Plus we teach Vic drivers to look after us !!

8. I ended up with a Hyosung. They are built around a 600cc frame so they dwarf most other 250's. I parked next to a vtr250 the other day and had a little chuckle. There are questions about their quality but i havn't found anything really wrong.

Naked's are cheaper to fix when (if) they are dropped.

9. But being fairly large myself i find them quite comfy and easy to fit on.

10. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah, really smart making people buy ridiculously overinflated, unreliable heaps that aren't suited at all for their size, and taking a huge bath on resale at the end!
    Big bloke+ 250 restrictions = Hyosung or trailbike.

Regards, Andrew.