Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

advice for a noob?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by 87crisis, Jul 8, 2011.

1. i have no real structure for my shifting gears...unless in traffic which means i'll be in 2nd or 3rd ...i tend to stay around 4th gear...5th if it's 70 + speed limit.

only had my l's for abit over a month now...had a crash in first fortnight (slowing when coming upto a roundabout...dirt n gravel on road..slid ten metre'...just avoided being a speedbump for a 4wd going thru the roundabout - only a broken blinker n some cosmetic damage to the bike)

but wanted to ask advice as to what revs average i should be stickin to before changing gear...first n second i'll generally change at about 5 thou (rarely in 1st gear tho so prob 3k for 1st) ..then 3rd 4th n 5th...all around 5-8k average

i could be about right here...just tend to listen for when the engine starts to sound like it's lil heart is goin a tad too hard which is about 7k mark

i have a 98gpx 250...($500 unreg...only needed a blinker for pink slip..imo ...pure gold...she's abit hard on the eyes but she does the job and is easy to learn with)

i do apologise about my absolute lack of structure to my writing, never was my thing...i just thought i'd put out my question for the netrider world as my only places for advice normally is a friend i've pestered to death about bike related matters...and my old fella...who rides a harley softail...bit of a difference to a gpx 250

(AND BEING A LEARNER I FRIGGIN HATE PEOPLE THAT DECIDE TO SPEED INTO THE TURNING LANE AT LIGHTS AND SIT RIGHT UP MY ASS...not such a issue now i'm used to cornering...but f***...the l plate's are there for a reason)

*breathe's out* and there you have it - my first attempt at a post..like anything i do...just drags on forever...my bad guys !
  2. in retrospect you think after a month of being a netrider member i would've noticed there's an appropriate section to post the above thread, apologies again..
  3. This is something that you go on, based on need, but for general riding there should be no need to go beyond 2/3rds of max revs, but as you are doing, you can short shift from first to second. There is a happy medium where the engine is neither overloaded or over revved.
  4. What 'ee sed... but it's a 2cyl motor, so more than happy putting around below 5k - no real need to wring it's neck further, especially while you are new enough to be worrying about all the other things (like loose shite on the approach to round abouts!)

From memory - and it's a little while ago now - the old GPX motor will quite happily rev to upwards of 10,000rpm, and is quite entertaining to play around up there... but until you don't have to think twice about everything else that's going on around you I'd keep things simple and relatively sedate!

The thing about revving harder is that throttle response, and therefore lack of throttle (engine breaking) all happen more drastically the higher up the rev range you go. Find a point that feels comfortable for you in terms of control, and feels comfortable for the bike (raven's "neither overloaded or over revved") and let that evolve as you do.
  5. Remember - keep it smoooooooooooooooth... You want to keep your get changes as smooth as you can. As a learner the best way to do this to learn is to ease the clutch in a bit slower after a gear change. By doing this you will remove any 'jerk' that you feel if you have not correctly matched your revs.

Bike clutches are different to in a car, you can ride them a lot more - it isn't really healthy... but it's OK to do whilst you are learning. Give it some practice and you will find you will eventually get the feel for matching revs, knowing when to change gears etc etc etc.
  6. choose a gear that keeps you near the bottom of the power band. then you get engine braking if you roll off and good acceleration if you roll on.
  7. IIRC, the GPX is the same engine as the ZZR, which makes max power at 12,500 RPM, & no power below 6,500 RPM.

9,000 RPM in top gear will be around 100/110 km/h, that's where you will be sitting on the freeway & that where you will have roll on power till 12,500

You're riding it like it's a big twin, it's not, rev it more.

It's revving a tad too hard when it's on the rev limiter, that's what they're for ;) Don't be afraid to find it.
  8. That's because you're used to hearing car engines

It takes a while to readjust your thinking to acceptable engine sounds for a motorcycle

As said above - I usually try to sit at about the bottom of where the bike makes reasonable power. Run it through the rev range a few times and work out where that is on your bike.
  9. Hi, yeah just take it easy being a 250 its probably easier to listen and watch the rev gauge as well once you get used to the bike its all in the ears youll start doing it automatically,if your not sure what gear your in you might have to get a gear selector, my bikes got 6 gears and sometimes i try for 7th, only use rev gauge when accelerate hard so i know what engines doing otherwise i just listen and change.Honda 1100.
  10. Im a noob too. It's an interesting point, but Id heed the advice above, don't treat it as you would a normal car, go further up in the revs. What I have found is that if I change gears upwards too soon and then need to slow down, Im always 2 gears away from the right gear if I need to react to something and speed up. Hold onto gears a bit longer as I find it safer, especially when going around town.
  11. Cheers for all the advice guys...had abit of fun testing out some of the suggested methods from you all...and overall am grasping the whole concept a hell of alot better now...especially knowing that around 50k's i'll be in 3rd 70 in 4th an anything above 80 5th...so i'm actually making use of the throttle as opposed to revving it to get upto speed then cruising half the time as i'm in too high a gear

mind you it was hard keeping up with a mate on his crf 450...but a backroad trip up the blue mountains was a great way to open up my bike and have the space and open road to test everything out