Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advice for a newbie interested in Suzuki VL250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by shibby25, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Hi guys, i was after any advice for buying my first bike. I liked the looks of the suziki VL250 and the Hyosung Aquila. I checked out the Virago but it seemed so small in comparison. Im 6'3 and a 100kg and was after a cruiser for my first bike, any ideas?
    Would it be better to get my open L's and just buy a bigger bike? And can you get insured doing this?
    I have looked at alot of 2nd hand bikes and there all around 5-6k. They new 2007 VL on the road is like 6800. Why do 2nd hand bikes cost so much?

Anyway any help would be great.

2. no idea myself why second hand 250's are so overpriced ... just guess a case of supply & demand gone horribly horribly wrong ...

from what i understand anybike would do as your "L's" bike, but these are what I've looked at so far and am considering

honda vtr250
    honda hornet 250cc ... no idea of the model and tehse are hard to find :(
    kawasaki zzr250 and gpx250
    suzuki bandit
    honda spada??
    kawasaki balius

not really cruisers but those bikes seemed to have fit me ok (i havent bought yet either and am exactly the same dimensions as you)
  3. I recently bought the Virago 250 and am pretty comfy. Not as tall as you though. I nearly bought a V-star 250 off a guy who must have been 6ft 6in(old speak) He said he was comfy on it and I have to say the do have more leg room - but even second hand they're nearly $2K more than your suzuki intruder.
  4. Can anyone else she some light on any riding experiences on a suzuki vl250, or a Kawasaki VN250 please.
  5. come on, someone has to have herd about one, or got a mate whos got a mate that has one.
  6. :grin:

Hi Shibby25, I purchased a 2003 VL Suzuki Intruder as my first bike and it only lasted about 3 weeks!! Lost about a grand on it!

I am 6 foot and about 95kg

I think it depends on what sort of riding you are doing? I am doing a 90km round trip everyday in mostly 100km zones. The VL 250 just can't handle these speeds!! It screems at you to slow down!! TOP SPEED - 120km/hr. I also found it cramped and put simply - boring to ride....

I also took the Hyosung for a hoon and found it to be much of the same.
    If the price seems to good to be true, it usually is!!!

Go for the open licence for sure!! that's what I did, got me my K5 GSX-R 600 and couldn't be happier! :)

7. I'm going out on a limb here and gonna disagree with uncorider11. However it's merely a point of view thing.

I purchased the bike I wanted recently, and I know it's not the best out there, but just thinking about it gets me motivated to ride it.

It's like this. If you don't have the lisence now to pick up the bike you want, then get something to get you by like uncorider did, by all means.

But if you have the cash to get the bike you want, my opinion is "why wait?". It's merely a point of view though. The decision is ultimately yours but don't buy something that's boring to ride, whatever you do, don't do that.