Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advertisement warning - scam

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Grey Gentry, Oct 26, 2007.

1. The below has been copied and pasted for your information from the Ulysses Website.

A member has thankfully informed us of a possible scam targeting the sale of member's motorcycles advertised on the national website.
    The enquirer sends an innocent enough email asking for details of the bike for sale.
    Upon response they fire off another email stating that they are keen to buy and offer you more than the market value and at the same time asking that all other potential buyers are ignored.
    They offer to send you a cheque and when it is cashed and the funds are in your account they will send a personal assistant over to your residence to make all necessary arrangements, inspections and pickups etc.

Here is the critical part that can leave you wide open -
    " To proceed with payment, I will need the name and address you want the payment to be made out to with a valid phone number to call when coming to do the pickup so that payment can be done ASAP."

You can imagine the next step.
    Ring to see if you are home, no answer, duck over and knock off the bike.

Offering more than you advertised ?
    You know what they say "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is".

In the words of the member that sent us the warning ' As I doubt he is Santa I smell a RAT."

2. F*cking scumbag thieving c**ts. :mad:
  3. Step 1: Respond to generous offer for your bike.

Step 2: Provide your phone-number and address.

Step 3: Do not answer your phone.

Step 4: Invite 8 mates with cricket bats around to hang-out in your garage for a while...
  4. Cookee stop holding back.
    Tell us what you really think.
  5. Had to keep it work safe. :wink:
  6. Or just don't be a moron and hand out your address. :roll:
  7. Very nice, Ktulu! I like the way you think.
  8. I'm with Ktulu. However lets dispense with the cricket bats and just use iron bars.

Thieving c**ts! :evil:
  9. I'll be in it Ktulu...don't have a cricket bat but i'm sure i can find something suitable in the garage :twisted:
  10. Oh, did I not mention the cricket bats were wrapped in rusty barbed-wire?

Huh, silly me! Well they are, by the way.

11. Dunno, I find one these works quite well;

12. What about these 5?

I am more scared of the two legged one.

13. got there number or email?
    Ive got a car im keen to sell :wink: :wink:
  14. I've only got a machete :-w
  15. Looks like I'm safe, then. I've never been offered anything near market value, let alone over MV. Last bike I sold, the guy practically wanted me to give it away (much like this scammer, I s'pose...)

That's when you ask for a 20 percent deposit. If the money isn't forthcoming (say, direct deposit), then the bike remains on sale. This goes for any sale item, not just for this example.

At least then, if your bike is stolen, you not only get yourself a handy deposit, the money, if it is an account to account transfer, (Netbank), then the guy can be traced with a bit of luck. Otherwise, you get to keep the deposit plus whatever the insurer gives you.

Give them a mobile number, but ONLY when you've arranged for them to inspect the bike. Meet at the local bike shop, for example.

What you do in the meantime is to get THEIR home phone number and mobile. If they won't part with this info or if it is unverifiable, then decline to proceed any further.
  16. Just give them a bogus number and the address for the local police or a brothel for a laugh :grin:
  17. on ebay over the last week i have reported 7 fraudulent adds offering bikes for a third of the price all new accounts in sydney and melb and wa in one add it was clearly an american bike all the cars were facing wrong way in st and not aus models another was just a copy af a old add so beware all adds must by law have vin and reg details to verify also all the contact detail where aol email address no phone contact details and one bike was a 2007 r1 with only 500 ks and origanal single sided swing arm?
  18. Or just don't buy on e-bay without seeing/riding the bike. Ever.

Heard too many stories (including seen a bike) that needed almost a quarter to half of its sale price (about $4g in this case) to bring the bike back up to scratch.

Can't test ride an e-bay ad. ;)
  19. I wouldn't buy anything on FleaBay for more than about $50, i.e. the amount I'm occasionally prepared to risk on a horse.
  20. Buying unseen on eBay is a risk, but something you might have to do to get that special bike. It will involve rolling dices, but it can be a safe bet if you keep certain things in mind. Do they invite potential bidders to come inspect the bike? If it's a unique bike, can you locate them on a bike forum discussing their bike? Also, can you have a friend in that city do the transaction, as I did? - it took a whole lot more stuffing around, but she basically bought the bike for me, with money I deposited into her account (rather than into the stranger's), and the courier was arranged by me but given her details in order to organise a time.