Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Advanced training courses - Wollongong

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' started by icemaker, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Well I'm literally a couple of days away from getting my full license and a new bike (hopefully if negotiations go well) and I feel the need to really ramp up my riding skills and the best way to do that is to get expert advice. So my question is with who? There are a whole heap of them around me as I live in Wollongong and traveling 1.5 hours north or south isn't a problem. Anyone have any bad/good experiences with any of the operators out there? Any info will help.

2. StayUpright or HART will set you right. I've had training by both.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. What about California Superbike School at Eastern Creek?

4 Levels so you can keep building on your skills.

Highly recommended!
  4. Stay Upright and Hart seem like the obvious choices. never heard of the Superbike joint and I'll look into them. Anyone had any experience with Top Rider down in Marulan?
  5. California Superbike school, is the first stop as soon as I get my full's, I have only heard the best things, and I believe they teach you straight from twist of the wrist 2!
  6. I watched twist of the wrist 2 the other night, some awesome tips but its probably the most cringe worthy attempt at acting Ive ever seen. Was hard for me to watch at times.
  7. I've bought the Book "A twist of the wrist 2" and the video. After reading and watching these, I now Know why the book is referred to as "The Cornering Bible". As soon as I can afford it, I will be doing the California Superbike School. What have the Book and DVD got to do with the School? All by the same guy, Keith Code. I'm planning on doing it early next year. I've already learned lots from the book and DVD and can highly recommend them for your reference library, check it out on youtube, and it's pretty cheap to buy through Amazon. It's the best $40 I've ever spent. Improved my riding and enjoyment or riding 1000%.
  8. Superbike school? They teach riding skills (very well) not real world road skills that we all need out on the road.

It's the OP's choice.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. I looked up the Superbike mob and the info on their website is quite good. However they require you to have full leathers which I don't have and not too keen on wearing the ball sweat drenched ones they lend you. Front runners at the moment for me are Stay Upright and Top rider (the farm track looks interesting).
    Not ruling out Cali Superbike just yet but it seems more track orientated.
  10. I think hart advanced or stay upright would be better than css if you are getting on your fulls.. Css teaches how to ride fast on a track, not that css is not good, just not appropriate.

Do a couple of track days before you do css. You will get the most out of it when everything isnt that new, since it is over $500
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yup! Absolutely agree.

I reckon that's the wrong way round.

A level one course is a good way of learning the track, and getting, under supervision, used to riding shall we say reasonably briskly, and prepares you better for your first track day.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. HART/Stay upright etc will teach you better skills, which essentially means better bike handling skills. This is good and necessary.

But make sure you listen up and ask questions about the applications of these skills - this is called roadcraft.

You won't get a lot of info about safer riding strategies for the urban environment, but if you show keen interest, the instructor/s are likely to share the benefit of their experience in this area. Listen up!
    • Like Like x 1
  13. robsalvv,
    This is my first post.
    I really enjoy this Forum and welcome all comments.
    I am 63, returned to riding after a 30 year break and enjoying every moment of my 2012 R1200R BMW.
    I would really like to improve my riding skills ( safety, speed, confidence etc). What I am finding interesting is that the Riding Schools seem to cater for the RACING section not the Urban/Rural Tourer.
    Neither my bike, or testicles are set up for the track.
    What I am asking is there additional Tuition ( after the licence test ) available that caters for the Urban cyclist that does not really involve knee draging, pivot steering, 200 Kpm corners, although very interesting I feel this is way beyond my street tourer and my capabilities.
    All information I have sourced seems to revolve around the Super Bike / GP type training venues.
    Thanking you in advance

14. The HART and Stayupright courses are exactly what you are looking for they are not race/track orientated at all, but very much about road skills.
  15. Many thanks iClint,
    I will investigate them both.
  16. #16 Vertical C, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
    Hart st ives advanced has a track, but its not a proper racetrack, its just like a country roadso only two lane wide. They teach braking and cornering forthe most part.

Its worth the money.

Some insurers will count that as training and give you a discount (such as imr give 5%)
  17. G'day mate, welcome back to two wheels. I can only speak for the stayupright and HART courses in Victoria, but they absolutely have intermediate and advanced riding courses which are targetted at riders like you - not strictly focussed on going fast at the track but understanding what's needed at different levels of riding.

Don't reject the track courses outright though - they can be very confidence inspiring - even if you never use that part of your bike's capabilities on the road.

Good luck with it!
  18. I've done the HART course at St. Ives. It's very good and it's aimed almost entirely at road riding.

I also want to do more training. Like icemaker, I'd be interested in feedback on Top Rider. Anyone???

RE CSS, they look very professional. Does their training suit those of us who don't ride sports bikes?

In the end I'll probably have to do the course that's on a date I can escape from work!

19. CSS is applicable to all types of bikes & riders. They teach how to get the best out of your bike whatever it is.
  20. Level 1 doesnt suit two strokes.