Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

advanced thermal fans, silly or smart?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by markwearspants, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Smart

2 vote(s)
  2. Silly

2 vote(s)
  1. So while my 2005 cbr600rr is stuck at the shop waiting on a part i've been doing some research about thermal fans. This will be my first summer with the bike and already I get temps of 100-104 degrees Celsius in stop start traffic.

Although this is normal for these bikes i've been looking around and seeing a few thermal fans on the market. even some that kick the fans in early squirt water to the radiator at certain temps.

Would this be a smart modification or just a waste of money in your opinion? i'll also post the link to the product when I can find it again

2. Waste of money. As long as your coolant doesn't actually boil (and you'll know all about that, believe me :D), your bike is operating within the envelope for which the manufacturer designed it.
  3. quoted for truth.
  4. What they said! You're better off flushing your coolant and replacing it with something of better quality. Have you ever flushed it? You might even be running water! Who knows
  5. My R6 has a fan factory.
    Engine runs at bout 105-110 on hot days, and the fan kicks in at the lights. Doesn't really drop the temp but it does keep it from creeping up. I dont have an issue with them. Not sure I'd install one though.
    My GS1100 doesnt even have a radiator, its just air cooled...seems fine!